Hello from Berkhampstead, Herts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
HIya all,

Ive recently been giving an old bike that has been sat in a shed for about 10 years, after soaking the whole thing in wd40 everything seems to move again and the squeaks are to a minimum,

Now really plan to make the most of it as i work about 8 miles from work and takes me 40 mins in the car due to traffic.

And i joined this site for general riding advice and ways of improving it, as the last time i rode a bike it had a my little pony on it

The Bike is and old men raleigh mountain bike that had seen much better days.

love,
Sophie.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
8 miles is about 30-40 minutes by bike. Have you tested your route yet? it can be useful to ride the route at the weekend in daylight to try it out when not under any time pressure.

The bike should do just fine, if you ride to work you could save enough for an upgrade after a short while.

As for improving your bike- typical commuter type upgrades are adding mudguards if not fitted already, swapping knobbly tyres for a more road-oriented and puncture-resistant type.

Check out the guide for new commuters here: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-essential-guide-for-new-commuters.56622/

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi sophie and welcome,
It's amazing what a bike will put up with and still continue to function.
I don't see any reason why your bike won't continue to provide good service.
Tyres tend to deteriorate over time even when not being used so make sure they are OK and well pumped up.
It will probably be the first thing you should renew.
Get out on a test ride before you commute to make sure everything is all right. Though you've probably done that already.
I hope it all works out for you.

You wrote,"as the last time i rode a bike it had a my little pony on it".
That's cute.
I wish you well.

OP
OP
sophie

sophie

Hi guys thanks for all the welcomes x

well the tyres are pumped up, but seem to last for 3days but i wanted to get some new tyres any way as im told road tyres are better and easier than the chunky ones ive got on now.

And did my first test run this morning to where i work, never realised how unfit i was, took be about an hour so probably a bit longer on monday with more traffic on the road and learnt i really do need to take a change of clothes with me too as when i got home i was a bit of a sweat monster lol

And thanks palinurus for the guide thats really helpful

thanks everyone

sophie xx

Hello, good luck with your ride to work.
I'm new to the forum too^_^

Top Bottom