Hello from Bristol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darthpaul

Been registered a while on here but just started posting in anger :smile:

So hello from me in Bristol who has been commuting by bike for about 18 months on a Giant XTC 4.5 with narrow tyres for commuting and wide ones kept for off roading :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Welcome from Bristol - so far I'm strictly on road or cycle path, but a group of us from work are thinking about spending a morning at Ashton Court sometime and learning some new skills.

OP
OP
darthpaul

darthpaul

Done Ashton Court twice with a keen offroad friend of mine! He has about £3500 of mountain bike and there is me on my £500 hardtail! although saying that Ashton Court is easy compared to Cwm Carn in Wales which was my first ever moutain biking ride!

I am now thinking about getting a hybrid/road bike for my commute as I think the hardtail is slowing me down. My commute is all road but some of it is countryside by farmland in Winterbourne so not sure what to go for.

Crankarm

Guru
Welcome. I hear Bristol is a cycling supercity. Are you a super cyclist?
Nice city Bristol. It must be nice to ride around it in Spring time.

OP
OP
darthpaul

darthpaul

Well unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I live and work just north of Bristol so don't cycle into the city. Most of my commute is countryside which is lovely in the Spring ;)

OP
OP
darthpaul

darthpaul

Dont ride it myself as I found a route that means I only have to go under it ;) But I see plenty of cyclists on it, surface is fine. No dedicated cycle lane yet I don't believe but they are working on adding more in South Glos as they are piggy backing on the Bristol Cycle City status. I see a few signs on my route saying cycle lanes coming soon! I work just by Aztec West roundabout.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
darthpaul said:
Dont ride it myself as I found a route that means I only have to go under it ;) But I see plenty of cyclists on it, surface is fine. No dedicated cycle lane yet I don't believe but they are working on adding more in South Glos as they are piggy backing on the Bristol Cycle City status. I see a few signs on my route saying cycle lanes coming soon! I work just by Aztec West roundabout.

Cheers,might be using it on the way down to Cornwall and have heard good and bad stories about it.

A38

I do the A38 from 10 miles north of Bristol into Bristol (back and forth) most days.
It's not a bad road to commute but it has it's 'hotspots' (the Aztec Roundabout and the fly-over by the airfield for example). The surface is generally good but best of all it's mostly quite wide and has long straight(ish) sections - so drivers can see you well in advance.

On a Sunday you'll see many cyclists doing a stretch of the A38

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I do go along and parrallel and cross the A38 further in - and its fine apart from the bit down in Bishopston by the old swimming baths with I find too stop/start/lights/cars parking/pulling out etc so I just use back roads around that area mostly.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
catalan chris said:
I do the A38 from 10 miles north of Bristol into Bristol (back and forth) most days.
It's not a bad road to commute

That's the direction that we keep considering moving in but friends and closeness to various things keep us in the city for now. How long does it take you?

The bit leading upto Aztec West from town is one of the worst bits of road that I hate doing in the car at rush hour in Bristol - I always smile at all the bikes passing the stationary car and think well done one less person adding to the queue and feeling much happier for it - luckily we only end up getting caught there a couple of times a year like that.

OP
OP
darthpaul

darthpaul

Well I work on Hempton Lane which is the last road before Aztec West heading north on the A38 and it can be a nightmare queue when going home sometimes especially if an accident on the M5 causes gridlock. I cycle 4 out of 5 days when I can.

Belated reply to Summerdays

Dear Summerdays,
My commute takes from Thornbury to Filton/North Bristol (and vice versa) and takes around 30-35 mins depending on traffic/weather conditions.

Message to any newbies from Bristol who are looking to increase their cycling, explore the locality and make contacts - consider joining the CTC - we've got a good firendly local branch (Bristol CTC) who organise a variety of regular rides for all abilities etc. Check out their web-site.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I must admit I've seen the Big Spring ride on the Better By Bike website and was going to try and convince a friend into doing it.

Top Bottom