Hello from California!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Oh man, I've been reading your blog about your trip again and it's great stuff. It's a trip I've always wanted to take and although I'm still in June, it seems like you had a great positive attitude about it! ^_^

You probably get this question all the time, but what about the trip surprised you most? Several things...but the hospitality and friendliness of most who I met along theway was amazing. How easy/hard it was? Ha!...it wasnt a walk in the park, but it was easier than i expected. There were some very very ough rides though...especially in kansas in the 115 degree heat and hedwinds all the way across. Mostly the mountain climbs were a question of mental focus ...i just kept talking to my bike (shinto) and tellng him' we will get there ..of that there is no doubt'.....The terrain or weather? The terrain was stunning in places, each state is different, and it often changed dramatically as i crossed the state lines or a high pass. The weather was good all the way across...well I got rained on once in oregon, but avoided the storms later in the ride...the heat was aconstant companion, especially in kansas and southern wyoming. Apparently it was the hottest summer there since the 30's. The headwinds seemed to have reversed this year and i had them across montanna, wyoming, kansas, missouri and illinois...but the strongest wind was in southern wyoming on two days.The terrible Yank drivers? I avoided the big cities and towns. The trans am route follows the smaller roads wherever possible it seems. The drivers were 99% courteous, slowed down, passed wide and often waved or did a kind of finger salute from the wheel to wish me luck. One peanut in colorada deliberatly tried to run me off the road, he was drunk. The semi trucks however are leathal and give you no space at all. I found that riding on the sgoulders was usually more dangerous than riding to the left of the line...im stubborn like that and i claimed my space...seems a lot of drivers arnt used to having to give way to cyclists over there...there is akind of car is everything vibe there, but like i said most drove safely near me.Your ability to pick a goal and stick with it? I'm impressed The way to do that was to burn my bridges behind me...i had no other choice but to make it across...no way back...no support vehicle to tempt me to fail[/quote]

BigonaBianchi

btw.....

let me encourage you to do it if you can...it's one hell of a ride...each to his own but imho doing it alone and self supporting is the way to go on this route...freedom for 4200 + miles :bicycle::sun::wahhey:

BigonaBianchi

Oregon had some terrible weather early this year. Heavy snows in the winter to heavy rains and flooding in the spring - Guess you just caught the tail end of it!

i started in late june. there was 2 feet of snow up on mckenzie pass when i rode up it...thankfully they had cleared the road and opened the pass

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

That sounds like such an amazing trip, I am seriously thinking of doing it within the next couple of years. Hopefully without all the snow though! ^_^

What was the weight of the gear on your bike do you think? And how much did your bike weigh? I can't imagine doing all those climbs with all that gear!

Sorry about the Yank truck drivers, they aren't great. I see what you mean about riding a little more into the road. I do that here, especially if there is any chance of me getting doored!

I guess in some respect you were lucky in that it was a really dry summer, but the flipside is that you were riding into a headwind the entire time, I bet there's some connection between the two!

A couple of other questions: was it easy to meet people on the road? I would fear creeping loneliness and turning into Tom Hanks from Castaway after awhile!

Also, why did you choose to end where you did and not New York or Boston?

Are you still riding a lot in the UK? I would imagine that after the trip your fitness levels were astronomical! I suppose with the change of terrain (I think it gets easier as you go east?) and the fact you were getting fitter probably meant the ride got physically easier as you went?

BigonaBianchi

That sounds like such an amazing trip, I am seriously thinking of doing it within the next couple of years. Hopefully without all the snow though! ^_^

What was the weight of the gear on your bike do you think? I never once weighed it...there is a photo of the gear i packed on my blog before i flew to portland...And how much did your bike weigh? ...again no idea mate...but it is a64cm steel frame dawes galaxt tourer so its heavy as bikes go...but it was still lighter than the surley long haul truckers i saw out there I can't imagine doing all those climbs with all that gear! Well you get used to it...also the bike has a triple chainset...but still i had to use the lowest gear a LOT. Actually th ebike is much more stable loaded than unloaded.

Sorry about the Yank truck drivers, they aren't great. I see what you mean about riding a little more into the road. I do that here, especially if there is any chance of me getting doored! I met american riders who were to a man afraid of riding left of the line...they seemed to believe the cars had more road rights than they did...european riders i met had no such fear.

I guess in some respect you were lucky in that it was a really dry summer, but the flipside is that you were riding into a headwind the entire time, I bet there's some connection between the two!

A couple of other questions: was it easy to meet people on the road? I would fear creeping loneliness and turning into Tom Hanks from Castaway after awhile! I was never lonely, not one second. I met many many people off the bike, and several riders going west...also i rode with a couple of east bound riders for a couple of days...when i was alone though i was still not lonely, i do being alone, there is always something that needs doing so bordom never sets in. I had a droid phone with me so i could e mail etc when i found wifi which is easy enough...except out west in areas. Phone signal in the states is appalling compared to europe...i went for days and days with no mobile/cell phone signal...at&t should be ashamed of themselves....verizon seemed better.

Also, why did you choose to end where you did and not New York or Boston? Because that is where the trans american cycle route ends...i was following the aca maps.

Are you still riding a lot in the UK? I would imagine that after the trip your fitness levels were astronomical! I suppose with the change of terrain (I think it gets easier as you go east? erm....dont bet on it ! The appalachion mountains are steep hard climbs in virginia...) and the fact you were getting fitter probably meant the ride got physically easier as you went? yep i did get fitter and i lost 24lbs in weight in 87 days whilst eating anything i liked[/quote]

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

I just to the August part of the blog and am so jealous of this trip! It sounds amazing! I'm also amazed that you were able to post so much without decent coverage with your phone. By all accounts, I'm told Verizon has better coverage, so I'll keep in mind that AT&T may not be the way to go. I have Sprint, which is even worse than AT&T so maybe anything other than that will be an upgrade.

The part about the dogs chasing you in Missouri is funny, although it probably wasn't at the time! ^_^

I've never even heard about the Trans American cycle route, I'll have to read more about it. If I were to do a trip, I would love to end in Boston since that is where I'm from, but I could go to Virginia and just head up the coast a bit. It seems like after awhile your body gets used to all that vigorous exercise and even almost needs it. How's your knee?

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

Check out the routes on the adventure cycling association website....they have an atlatic coast route which you could pick up from the transam i believe

I will most definitely check that out! I'm very jealous of your adventure and all the people you met! I need to do something like that eventually, and reading your blog is a nice inspiration. What a great ride, you should be proud!

Thanks for answering all my questions and sorry to be a pest! I just have so many questions about such an epic trip. ^_^

monkeylc

Über Member
we love you Leicester,we do,we love you Leicester,we do! ^_^

used to be alot more when younger mate,then you get kids/wife/bills etc

HovR

Über Member
i started in late june. there was 2 feet of snow up on mckenzie pass when i rode up it...thankfully they had cleared the road and opened the pass

When I was there in late April there were roads closed and homes having to be abandoned due to flooding, and windfall and landslides blocking the roads. Crazy weather! Glad you got through the snow fine.

Top Bottom