Hello from California!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome to CChat, Pato!

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

Hmmmm, I'm guessing Bolts fan Pato ?

Ah, a Steelers fan, actually! Which is funny because I've never even been to Pittsburgh but I liked them from since I was about 4 years old so there's no going back now.

I'm also a big fan of your footie (if you're in the UK!) and am a Red Devil but please don't hold it against me! :laugh: The memories of '99 still shine bright within me!

avalon

Guru
More friendly than most around here (and we never discuss American foreign policy, do we?^_^). I was a member on an Australian forum for a while but as soon as discussion or debate got a bit heated or controversial the moderators put a stop to it. Here we just keep on going until everyone grows bored and moves on to the next thing.

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

More friendly than most around here (and we never discuss American foreign policy, do we?^_^). I was a member on an Australian forum for a while but as soon as discussion or debate got a bit heated or controversial the moderators put a stop to it. Here we just keep on going until everyone grows bored and moves on to the next thing.

That sounds good to me! It's refreshing to see a forum where flame wars aren't the norm! An occasional difference of opinion is fine, of course. Unless someone is a Man City supporter, that can't be tolerated! :tongue:

Oh, I lived abroad for a number of years while Dubya was president and got plenty of talks on US foreign policy! Let me just say it was an 'interesting' experience...:laugh:

Thanks to all for the nice welcomes!

HovR

Über Member
Welcome! :welcome:

I've been cycling in California myself - Definitely some great landscape and scenery, you should have fun!

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

Welcome! :welcome:

I've been cycling in California myself - Definitely some great landscape and scenery, you should have fun!

There are certainly worse places to be! Whereabouts did you cycle in California? Along the coast or inland more? I'm just just just starting out so you probably know more about cycling here than I do! ^_^

Spasspecker

Hi Pato
:welcome: from another newbie!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Dunno if people know. But Santa Barbara is a wonderful town on the Pacific Coast Highway. One of the greatest driving/cycling roads in the world. Pato Donald is a lucky chap indeed.

HovR

Über Member
There are certainly worse places to be! Whereabouts did you cycle in California? Along the coast or inland more? I'm just just just starting out so you probably know more about cycling here than I do! ^_^

Along the coast, but mostly a fair bit further north than where you are. Did a lot of cycling along some of the old forestry roads on the MTB which was good fun.

Crosstrailer

Ah, a Steelers fan, actually! Which is funny because I've never even been to Pittsburgh but I liked them from since I was about 4 years old so there's no going back now.

I'm also a big fan of your footie (if you're in the UK!) and am a Red Devil but please don't hold it against me! :laugh: The memories of '99 still shine bright within me!

I went to Pittsburgh in 2007 and saw the Steelers beat the Bengals. I'm not a Steelers fan but it was a great experience and I really loved the city of Pittsburgh. I'm guessing you are a child of the early 1970s !!!!!!

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

ianrauk: I'm really excited about exploring the cycling possibilities around Santa Barbara. There is all the flatland you need literally next to some decent hills/mountains. Oh, and the weather is perfect! Perhaps most importantly, out of everywhere I've lived, this has the best motorist/cyclist relationship I've seen. For a point of comparison, two cyclists were struck and killed in my home city over the weekend (Boston), so that was VERY sad to see. Some places need a good bit of reform in the US, as you can imagine.

HovR: That sounds great. If there are any stretches in particular you liked in California, please let me know! I'm open to anything at the moment. I'm assuming downtown LA isn't on the list :laugh:. Although Venice Beach - Santa Monica is a fun little ride. I'm assuming you were on the PCH, were the drivers more or less decent with cyclists? I'm a bit nervous about taking on a road like that.

Crosstrailer: The late-70s, actually, so I don't remember the golden years! Although I have been spoiled with the three recent Super Bowl appearances, with two victories! Is there a team you like?

To everyone else: Thanks for the warm welcome!

Top Bottom