Hello from California!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pato Donald

I found this site while doing research on the London-Edinburgh-London 2013! It seems like a great, supportive place to help meet other people and get some of my questions answered. I don't own a car, so I have to bike everywhere I go (which is weird for southern California!), but I'm just getting into biking for sport. I was a fairly serious runner in my past life, but as I'm entering my mid-30s, my body seems to keep breaking down so I figured it was time to transition into something else. Anyway, I'm happy to be here and hope you aren't too hard on this Yank! :tongue:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi Pato

Welcome to CC :hello:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi Pato :welcome:
Body breaking down in your 30's? Wait until you get to your mid 40s :laugh: I switched from only running 20 years ago and to only cycling for exercise about 9 years ago (with some lay offs between now and then) and haven't regretted it for a second.

Sounds like a fun ride you are planning next year. Have a look in the 'Things you're always being asked about cycling/your bike' thread, it might give you some ammo for dealing with the stupid cycling questions :smile:
I used to not own a car, right up until I opened my own business. I quite miss the non car owning days.

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

Haha, well, I've made a few visits to the UK and Ireland so I'm a bit familiar with the weather. But after reading the ride report from 2009's LEL on this forum, maybe I don't know what I'm getting myself into...

Then again, the last time I was in the UK (Dec 2010) there was snow, so this will have to be an improvement, right? :rain:

Nice to meet you!

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

Hello Saluki!

Yeah, some people's bodies just can't seem to take the pounding of running, and unfortunately mine is one of them! I've had a pretty disappointing year of fitness, I was supposed to do the New York Marathon but I keep getting lower leg injuries so I had to drop out. Then I was going to do a half marathon and had to drop out of that as well. So I decided it was time to switch to cycling, at least for awhile. I'd like to be able to walk without pain for at least a few months. I don't think that is too much to ask! :biggrin:

kedab

Veteran
:welcome:

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

Thanks for the nice welcome! This may be the friendliest forum I've ever been a part of!

@Trail Child: Do you bike year-round in Ottawa?!? It's one thing to do it in California, but eastern Canada is a whole other animal. I'm originally from the Boston area and I would imagine the winter is a little more fierce where you are. Then again, you probably have public transit, something they're still working on in southern California...

@smokeysmoo: Yeah, Santa Barbara can be prohibitively expensive. One reason I don't have a car is that I can't afford one! I'm trying to pay down my grad school debt so until that goes down a bit, I will be bike-only. At least the weather is nice, if you don't mind the fires! :unsure:

Top Bottom