Hello from Chiswick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DawesKP78

Hi Guys,

Just joined!

Shaun, many thanks for your welcoming text and a load of good advice.

I'm a total newbie to cycling though I've had a Dawes Kingpin folding bicycle sitting in a corner of my garage since the mid-70's!
It's hardly been ridden - until now!

I've been somewhat 'forced' into using a cycle - not a bad thing as I am really enjoying the exercise and fresh air along the River Thames (not too much fresh air in central Chiswick these days, with ever increasing stationary traffic along my road almost at all times now, and certainly since Hammersmith Bridge is still closed after many years (an absolute absurdity - wouldn't happen in any other country in Europe - but I digress).

Unfortunately both my cars are non-ULEZ compliant, so have resorted to using the bike for local trips as well as a couple of OPD appointments at Charing Cross Hospital, so avoiding the outrageous £4.40/hr parking rates for cars in the nearby Fulham streets facing the hospital.

I've been looking at saddle covers in Halford's online.
Halford's sell two kinds which use foam rubber to insulate/cushion that delicate area - the Perineum - following a template biopsy and a radical prostatectomy.
Though most buyers reviews are 4 or 5 star, some complained that these covers don't really help that much.
A cycling neighbour told me I need to invest in padded cycling shorts for better insulation than these saddle covers....any suggestions/advice welcome.

I also looked at covers on Amazon which used gel rather than memory foam as the insulating material.....are they any good? gel is certainly cushioning but it can be quite firm too...

I had better end my first missive on this obviously well designed and very well regulated website, before I'm told my messages are too long!

Have a wonderful weekend, you all.

Best wishes,

Dawes KP78

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
:welcome:Welcome!

Decathlon are good for clothing. There's one at Ealing Broadway.

As to gel saddle covers, they are cheap and worth a go and little loss if they don't suit you. My wife uses one and says it's comfortable. They're unpopular on here though. I think they are probably uncool.

Top of my list of accessories to buy (if you don't already have one) would be a good lock if you're parking outside hospitals etc.

CXRAndy

Guru
Just a suggestion but wouldn't a cut out saddle like Selle superflow be better?
20211116_193353.jpg

I have these on most of my bikes. I can ride in normal clothing, jeans or summer shorts upto 25 miles without any discomfort.

Caveat Everyone is different. But cutout saddle's are extremely popular

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just a suggestion but wouldn't a cut out saddle like Selle superflow be better?
View attachment 618024

I have these on most of my bikes. I can ride in normal clothing, jeans or summer shorts upto 25 miles without any discomfort.

Caveat Everyone is different. But cutout saddle's are extremely popular
Not sure that would be right for a Dawes Kingpin. The seating position is much more upright than that is designed for.

But hey, might be worth a go.

Top Bottom