Hello from Derbyshire,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vette427

Thank you for the friendly and helpful welcome.
I’m finding it difficult to get up these hills in the Peak District with the gearing on my Merlin - 11 to 28 cassette and 39/52 chainset. Guess I’m just getting old !!! This site looks and sounds really interesting so I’ll be searching through the classifieds, hoping to find another bike. Wondered about going ‘ electric ‘ dare I say it !!
Cheers for now everyone

carpiste

Guru
:welcome: and yes you dare say it....there are a lot of leccy riders here, including myself. I have a road bike, a hybrid and my leccy which I adore. We all get old and we all need assistance on occasions ^_^

All uphill

Still rolling along
I’m finding it difficult to get up these hills in the Peak District with the gearing on my Merlin - 11 to 28 cassette and 39/52 chainset. Guess I’m just getting old !!! This site looks and sounds really interesting so I’ll be searching through the classifieds, hoping to find another bike. Wondered about going ‘ electric ‘ dare I say it !!
Cheers for now everyone
Welcome!

Depending on where you cycle that is a challenging gearset! Derbyshire has a few hills?

If you like and fit the bike have you thought about changing the crankset? My new bike has a 46/30 from Spa, which is perfect for me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cheers for now everyone
I changed my bike over to a triple chainset from Spa Cycles after a hard ride down through the peak district! I lowered my bottom gear from a 'stiff' 39/29 to a much easier 28/30. That made a BIG difference so I hope that I won't have to even think about going electric for at least another 10 years (by then my mid-70s).

OP
OP
V

Vette427

Welcome!

Depending on where you cycle that is a challenging gearset! Derbyshire has a few hills?

If you like and fit the bike have you thought about changing the crankset? My new bike has a 46/30 from Spa, which is perfect for me.

Hi there, yes I love the bike but it’s a Campag Record groupset and the rear mech. won’t take a lower gear on the cassette. It seems like a good idea to change the crankset to a 50 - 34 but I don’t think Campag. do one.
Guess the hills around you - Porlock, Lynmouth & Lynton etc. are worse than here !!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
what about a mech hanger extender and run a compatble cassette eg miche with a bigger range ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi there, yes I love the bike but it’s a Campag Record groupset and the rear mech. won’t take a lower gear on the cassette. It seems like a good idea to change the crankset to a 50 - 34 but I don’t think Campag. do one.
Guess the hills around you - Porlock, Lynmouth & Lynton etc. are worse than here !!
The bike that I converted to a triple had a 10-speed Chorus groupset, which was rebadged from 10-speed Record the year before that. I discovered that the left shifter works with a triple. The rear mech also managed to cope with a bit of tweaking. The front derailleur needed a bit of persuasion (a little bit of filing to allow a wider range of movement!).

The conversion only involved a triple chainset (THIS ONE) and a new bottom bracket.

So... I wouldn't give up on converting your bike - there may be an affordable way!

Top Bottom