Hello from East Yorkshire!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emmaroid

Hi there!

Just thought I would say hello as I am about to put a deposit on a bike and wanted to search for hints and tips before I do so! I also thought it might help me with other advice along the way as I haven't had a bike since I was about 8, and even then it was a hand me down!

I have 2 kids, 3 dogs, 3 cats and 6 boas! I love them all dearly but need to do something active and as a few friends go out on Skyrides ec I thought I would join in! I'm a single mum too so when the kids are away, it would be good to make new friends etc!

As I plan on doing both on and off road cycling, I think i'm gonna opt for a 29er, and have fallen in love with the Giant Revel 0 as it has locking front suspension etc. I decided that I could change my tyres if I decided to do a lot of road cycling! Have also seen a Trek and a Specialized I like but haven't made any concrete decisions yet! The Giant is £550 which is a lot to pay if I don't like it but don't want to get something which is going to put me off cycling forever! Arrrgggghhhh!

Anyway, sorry for rambling on... Hello and I hope to speak to you all soon :-)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Hi and welcome,

You seem to have done your research. Would a cx bike fit the bill?

OP
OP
Emmaroid

Emmaroid

Oooh Hebden Bridge! I used to live Halifax and the kids dad lives Luddenden Foot so I know Hebden a little! Used to travel that way when I lived Ilkley as I went over the tops and dropped down into Hebden Bridge...

Thanks for welcomes :thumbsup:

sidevalve

Über Member
Hi from an ex pat yorkshireman in sunny [!] Durham. Just wondering how much off roading you plan to do ?
If you mean to go for real off road tracks then fair enough but if you mean [as many seem to do] the odd towpath / bridleway / rough country lane I would really consider as to wether you really need suspension at all.
Just remember every ounce has to be pushed by you and no matter how cheap [or expensive] it has to be paid for, the extra cash may be of more benefit on a higher quality frame / groupset.
There are those who will disagree and fair to 'em but I have yet to find a genuine need for suspension other than on real heavy duty off road sport. Still each to his [her] own just a warning to be sure what you really need.

OP
OP
Emmaroid

Emmaroid

Thanks For the input :thumbsup:

That's the thing, I don't know exactly what I will be doing... I know I don't like how spindly the Hybrid bikes I have seen are and I know that I wont be commuting to work on my bike as I dont have the time... TBH I started out looking at £250 bikes but seem to have been told every step of the way that you can't get anything decent for that and so it has bumped up :tired: Its gonna take me a bit to pay for it but better that than getting a cheapy one from Halfords and hating every second!

I'm also a 'big lass' at 17 and a half stone so dont want to look a berk on a spindly frame! The guy who has been helping me look hasn't said going for an MTB and swapping tyres would be what he would do so that is what I have gone with so for but I am not one for just doing what someone else says lol! I like to make my own mind up after research!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Emmaroid

Emmaroid

Another thing is, I have seen what ignorant gits car drivers can be so plan on being on the road as little as possible, but then again if I am in a group with others then I wont be as worried about it! SO really, I don't know.... I sound like a right berk haha!

Boon 51

Veteran
Hi Emma..
Welcome to the forum... They are a good bunch on here and will help with any questions.. :smile:

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Hi Emma,
Welcome :hello: Nice to see another local on here, there seems to be quite a few peeps from Hull and East Yorks on CC.
Think the advice you've been given is right too, decent quality bikes cost £500+ these days, just had a quick peek on the Giant website, lovely looking bike and well specced for the money and it should last a good few years with a little tlc.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hi Emma.
I'm a relatively new "born again" cyclist and have got a hard tail with 'lockout' suspension and TBH I find it great as it really does lock out but takes all the vibrations/shakes out of rough terrain i.e. paths with lots of potholes which my old hands & wrists appreciate.
The other comments are quite correct in that, if you dont really need it, then the money is best going into better frame & components.
Just one question.......
"3 cats and 6 boas! I love them all dearly"
How does anyone love 6 boas???^_^
Enjoy your cycling.

Top Bottom