Hello from East Yorkshire!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Emmaroid

Emmaroid

Thanks guys...

I have been to Ken Ellerkers, Jobes and the place on Chants Ave (cant remember the name now!). Oh and Freetown sport...

Nowhere has any offers on to to speak of, only places like Evans....

I'll keep mulling over everything and will try and try some out...

Thank you so far!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Hi & welcome Emmaroid :hello:
Another wessie now in east yorkshire here :thumbsup: I regularly ride on the trans pennine trail from Hornsea to Hull & I found that a hybrid type bike is best for me on that track. I currently have a hub geared hybrid with front suspension (didnt want the suspension but the bike was too cheap to say no ^_^) The extra weight of the suspension outweighs the benefits of ride comfort imo. Best to try out both & see which suits you best.

OP
OP
Emmaroid

Emmaroid

I gotta say, I am really nervous of riding on the roads which s another reason why I feel I want the option of a bit of front suspension... I'm having a dumb moment, do you mean the suspension is not worth the hassle of the extra weight of them?

Sorry :blush:

Canrider

Guru
I gotta say, I am really nervous of riding on the roads which s another reason why I feel I want the option of a bit of front suspension... I'm having a dumb moment, do you mean the suspension is not worth the hassle of the extra weight of them?

They're saying (hi btw, NY Moors NP calling) that front suspension only really gets helpful and worth the extra weight if you're doing semi-serious offroading. More serious than riding down a dirt road, farm track or going over kerbs to get on and off cyclepaths and the like. To explain visually, here's the Dalby Forest Red Route:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNVaSoe47cc

Now suspension will help on that sort of terrain, but I've ridden the easier green and blue routes without any suspension, as both of those are essentially dirt roads throughout. Unless you think you'll be riding that kind of terrain, I'd not bother with front suspension unless (as Soltydog points out), the rest of the bike is too good to pass up.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm having a dumb moment, do you mean the suspension is not worth the hassle of the extra weight of them?

Dont worry about silly questions, as someone once said there's no silly questions, only silly answers ^_^
I'm a heavy rider too :blush: & find that the front suspension adds more weight than comfort for my kind of riding, although thats not to say it isnt right for you.I'm sure there are some riders who love front suspension.
For info - My hybrid is a Corratec & they normally have good deals on some models at Chain Reaction cycles, only problem is you cant try them before you buy :sad: Only problem I've had is a few loose spokes on the rear wheel, but got them sorted locally & CR paid the bill :smile:

OP
OP
Emmaroid

Emmaroid

Ahh I see! I am Hull born and bred but had a stint living in both Halifax and Ilkley.... Back n Hull now!

Thank you for the welcome :-)

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome from the West side where it seems all the rain is at the moment :rain::cry: My Hybrid has coped well with trails and canal tow paths very well plus if you do head for the tarmac then life is good ! Me,Potsy and 400BHP did the Trans Pennine Trail to the outskirts of Formby last year and most of that was what you would call MTB land and we all survived but got covered in lots of mud ! I also have an MTB with front suspension and to be honest it's a tank and very rarely gets used as it should and would easily cope with standard front forks.
You could just do what most of us on here do and buy a bike for every occasion.....it will happen,don't fight it !

Top Bottom