Hello from Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Newbiebikeman

Regular
Hi All,

Although I learnt to ride a bike as a child I've just bought my first bike in 15 years. I got it secondhand Raleigh but don't know what model or even when it was made. I think it's a mountain bike because it has thick tires but it doesn't have any suspension so maybe it's a city bike. Regardless I really like it and am looking forward to cycling more.

Also looking forward to a time when cycling up hills doesn't wipe me out.

Anyway looking forward to learning a lot about bikes from you guys.

Best,
NB

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Hello from a fellow Edinburgh resident. :welcome:

Brads

Hiya from 12 miles East.

Lots and lots of folk round our way finding out how great cycling is this year.
Head out the coast through Porty for some great places to explore.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Hi,

Please tell me the hills get easier in town! I'm hoping the more I cycle the better my stamina will get, then maybe, one day I'll be able to cycle the nightmare that is Dublin Street!

As you cycle more often, the hills will feel easier. As will your recovery time after going up them.

OP
OP
Newbiebikeman

Newbiebikeman

Regular
Hiya from 12 miles East.

Lots and lots of folk round our way finding out how great cycling is this year.
Head out the coast through Porty for some great places to explore.
The reason I got a bike was because this summer I borrowed my mate's spare bike and we cycled to Porty, I had such a blast but was very unsure of myself especially on the roads so I thought I'd get my own bike and build up my confidence (as well as my stamina).

I cant wait for me to become better and to keep pushing how far I can go on the bike!

Brads

It's getting better and better round our way. Pop up bike lanes, drivers pretty much playing second fiddle to cycles.
Head down the coast on a weekend and you'll see what I mean.

OP
OP
Newbiebikeman

Newbiebikeman

Regular
:welcome: from this resident of Colinton, great cycling over here on the west too, and most times if you head west you get a tailwind home :okay:
Yeah, I've never been to Colinton so will have to check it out. I'm really looking forward to exploring the whole of Edinburgh, I've mainly stayed in the city centre since I moved here so with a bike I have no excuse but to explore more!

OP
OP
Newbiebikeman

Newbiebikeman

Regular
Perhaps if you are on good terms with your local councillor you could get one of these for Dublin Street.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zipZ5kwhFfs

:smile:

Now something like that would be handy! Sadly, if the experience of the trams are anything to go by, Edinburgh council won't be in any rush to complete a project like this. Interestingly enough though, there does seem to be a real push to make parts of the city centre more cycle friendly with bike lanes and specific buttons for cyclists to press at crossing, I just wish the council wouldn't put bins in the cycle lanes!

Top Bottom