Hello from Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
An easy mostly offroad explore is the canal then the old railway/Water of Leith path up to Balerno, then loop back via the reservoirs. But check for current restrictions on the WoL path, bits of it are currently diverted for utility works.

I agree. It’s a great ride. I do prefer to hit the reservoirs first via Bonaly, and follow the WOL path back into the city.

OP
OP
Newbiebikeman

Newbiebikeman

Regular
An easy mostly offroad explore is the canal then the old railway/Water of Leith path up to Balerno, then loop back via the reservoirs. But check for current restrictions on the WoL path, bits of it are currently diverted for utility works.

Ah great. I spoke to a mate and we're gonna try this out tomorrow afternoon! Thanks for the advice and I'll let you know how it goes!

Hi,

Please tell me the hills get easier in town! I'm hoping the more I cycle the better my stamina will get, then maybe, one day I'll be able to cycle the nightmare that is Dublin Street!
You can't help get better living in Edinburgh. I miss my commute from Granton up Granton Road, then Brandon Road and Dundas Street up to George Street :okay:

OP
OP
Newbiebikeman

Newbiebikeman

Regular

Hi @Flick of the Elbow and @flake99please, I went on my first 'proper' bike ride on my new bike and it was great fun. We took your advice and went along the Waters of Leith to Balerno. It was pretty amazing and I had a great time. On the way there we tried to take a detour to Juniper Manour house but ended up at juniper Green by accident instead. I've been in Edinburgh for 5 years now and not seen that part of town at all. We decided to just ride back the way we came rather than loop round though as it was threatening to rain. Next time I do the route though I'll definitely make sure I see the reservoirs.

I was not expecting the 'Colinton Tunnel Mural Project' (picture included). Also it was great crossing the aqueduct that carried the canal over the waters of Leith (It felt a bit like an MC Escher painting) . An amazing ride. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

In a fortnight we're planning on heading to Cramond (given the rules on lockdown don't change 😬)

Attachments

• IMG_3287.jpg
    IMG_3287.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3293.jpg
    IMG_3293.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 41354bd4-2ad5-4a5f-a9f0-95add822ab6a.JPG
    41354bd4-2ad5-4a5f-a9f0-95add822ab6a.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
Newbiebikeman

Newbiebikeman

Regular
You can't help get better living in Edinburgh. I miss my commute from Granton up Granton Road, then Brandon Road and Dundas Street up to George Street :okay:

You must have the thighs of an Ox to not just ride up Dundas Street but to enjoy it as well! Ha ha, I look forward to the time that I miss climbing Dublin Street. At the moment I'm just getting off and walking up that hill. Hoping by the end of this year though I'll be able to power up it.

Hi @Flick of the Elbow and @flake99please, I went on my first 'proper' bike ride on my new bike and it was great fun. We took your advice and went along the Waters of Leith to Balerno. It was pretty amazing and I had a great time. On the way there we tried to take a detour to Juniper Manour house but ended up at juniper Green by accident instead. I've been in Edinburgh for 5 years now and not seen that part of town at all. We decided to just ride back the way we came rather than loop round though as it was threatening to rain. Next time I do the route though I'll definitely make sure I see the reservoirs.

I was not expecting the 'Colinton Tunnel Mural Project' (picture included). Also it was great crossing the aqueduct that carried the canal over the waters of Leith (It felt a bit like an MC Escher painting) . An amazing ride. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

In a fortnight we're planning on heading to Cramond (given the rules on lockdown don't change 😬)
Glad you enjoyed it :smile:
Another nice off road route west is the cycle path through Davidsons Mains to Cramond Brig then on through the Hopetoun estate to South Queensferry. You can loop around Hopetoun to retrace or you can take some minor roads to Kirkliston to join a cycle path to Newbridge, cycle path past the airport to Gogar, minor roads to join the canal near Hermiston, canal back into city.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
...through Davidsons Mains to Cramond Brig then on through the Hopetoun estate to South Queensferry.
That Hopetoun should probably be Dalmeny estate to SQ ...
Get the Spokes Cycling Maps of Edinburgh and East, Mid- and West Lothian and plan your routes as you want. Take the appropriate map with you too !! :okay:
I'm in Trinity and sometimes to be seen on my blue low rider recumbent
radler.gif
around the Cramond area ... Yell if you see me! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom