Hello from Manchester where the sun is shining.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

fudgepanda

It's better on a fixed gear because you don't really have to use brakes that much ! Brakes=skid=crash !
Walking while pushing = no need for brakes = no skid = no crash.....unless of course I just fall over.

OP
OP
F

fudgepanda

Welcome fudgepanda, I'll keep a look out for a wobbly novice in a few weeks as I ride around S.Mancs/Stockport :thumbsup:
Thanks for the welcome. On the day I go and pick up my new steed there will be plenty of traffic news warning of a novice cyclist being cut out from the front window of Burger King on Birchfields Road

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ashton and Stockport eh? One to the north and one to the south. Excellent. To be honest, if I get as far as either in the first few weeks I'll need an Intensive Care Unit. With Tameside's reputation and Stepping Hill's serial killer I might be screwed there. Oh, bought a bike yesterday on the cyclescheme so just got to a) find the appropriate forum to waffle on about it and b) wait for the voucher to arrive, so bearing in mind that winter is only about 3 months away I might have to wait until spring before I can ride it!

I'm guessing here but maybe the fallowfield loop may be of interest to you? Google it (it's not a loop).

Nope, there's a teeny weeny bit where it runs parallel just outside Chorlton, then the Metrolink hares off south to Didsbury where the loop continues straight to Fallowfield Sainsbury's. You can pick up the loop by the Sainbury's car park, if you head towards Chorlton it's a bit confusing as you need to cross Wilmslow Road then go about a block before you turn left off the road and go under a bridge, if you head out East (which I don't do often) you can pick it straight up from next to the Bodey Medical Centre.

400bhp

Guru
How far is the loop from the water park?
Cycle around there quite often but am yet to venture onto the loop.

Not far mate, I sometimes use part of it to commute. Easiest way to get on it from the water park is to go over the bridge at Jackson's boat, go straight on up the path onto Hardy Lane-then you are almost there. I can draw you a map if you want.

potsy

Rambler
Not far mate, I sometimes use part of it to commute. Easiest way to get on it from the water park is to go over the bridge at Jackson's boat, go straight on up the path onto Hardy Lane-then you are almost there. I can draw you a map if you want.
Yes please :thumbsup:

OP
OP
F

fudgepanda

I had a look on Google Earth and it seems to show it going all the way up past Reddish golf course. My only concern about using paths like that is risk of robbery as most of this kind of track tends to be in a cutting and therefore out of site from most other people using the roads and pavements. Does anyone know a) what are the statistics of anti social behaviour on these tracks and b) how much of the loop is still usable on a road type bike?

potsy

Rambler
As far as I know it is a very smooth surfaced trail, as for the safety issue, I suppose it's a case of when you use it, certainly wouldn't want to be on it after dark for instance. :ph34r:
I use the TPT a lot and have the same fears about that, daytime use only :thumbsup:

Top Bottom