Hello from me too

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Everyone ,
I`m looking to buy my first bike in a long time. The one I usually cycle is Royal Mail issue :blush: a Pashley Mailstar , it has 3 gears (they spoil us) , I`m not sure what the bike weighs but the average weight of the mail/panniers/waterproofs etc is around 20 kilos + . Hopefully I can get some much needed advice here because I am way out of my depth :huh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome: to CChat, lots of knowledgeable and slightly bonkers folks on here :hello:

Herr-B

Welcome. I'm not one to answer questions, but there are plenty of friendly, helpful folk here. :smile:

From dog and bone, using Tapatalk2.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Another Pashley rider! Welcome aboard.
Mine doesn't come with the job, rather owned by choice because I like the style. Except uphill.
I've never dared weigh mine, probably need a commercial weighbridge, still, the beast does look splendid. Bike's alright too.

Octet

Veteran
Welcome to the forums, ask away and I'm sure someone can answer :thumbsup:
And if they can't you shall certainly get some funny banter!

OP
OP
T

TickettyBoo

Another Pashley rider! Welcome aboard.
Mine doesn't come with the job, rather owned by choice because I like the style. Except uphill.
I've never dared weigh mine, probably need a commercial weighbridge, still, the beast does look splendid. Bike's alright too.

They are outstanding bikes ! If they can survive what we put them through daily then they must be exceptionally well made . I was tempted to go for a Pashley tube rider because I liked the quirky style of it :smile: halfords had it on special offer but it seems to be gone now. Can I ask how many gears your Pashley has ? I`m not sure how many gears to go for. I get around fairly easily with 3 gears so I`m wondering if I was to go for something with 21 whether I would actually use them . I don`t want to under gear either though and make my cycling harder work than it needs to be.

I might chuck my work bike on the scales this week :sweat: I`ll let you know . . . .

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Mine's a Roadster Sovereign with 5 speeds in a Sturmey-Archer hub. All very old fashioned, with a splendid bell and magnificent Brookes B33 saddle. Having only five ratios constrains the hill climbing a bit, but we haven't been defeated yet!
On the flat, in order to keep the cadence up I use fourth and third mostly, snatching fifth when the opportunity arises.

OP
OP
T

TickettyBoo

Mine's a Roadster Sovereign with 5 speeds in a Sturmey-Archer hub. All very old fashioned, with a splendid bell and magnificent Brookes B33 saddle. Having only five ratios constrains the hill climbing a bit, but we haven't been defeated yet!
On the flat, in order to keep the cadence up I use fourth and third mostly, snatching fifth when the opportunity arises.
I managed to weigh my bike today . It tipped the scales at a hefty 28.5 kilos :ohmy: to be fair I didn`t take the panniers off but they were empty . No wonder my wee legs have been struggling sometimes :eek:

Top Bottom