Hello from near Reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Babs

Really useful reading the 'posts'. I found the site when I was googling Batavus.
Going to get a new bike on the BTW scheme - was announced by my employer yesterday but only a month to choose what I want!
I ride to work - 12 miles round trip; then I cycle to my appointments.
I ride my daughters old hybrid which my OH has customised for me and has some nice upgrades on it.
I am thinking of getting a more upright bike because I have been getting a problem with my right hand - it goes numb and sometimes I can't write properly.
I am a bit overwhelmed by the number of bikes to choose from, and apprehensive that I might make an expensive mistake.
So I am hoping that you will all be able to advise me how to make the right choice!

Good morning Babs :biggrin: Welcome to CycleChat.
Cycle2work schemes are brill I have had 2 bikes from it.

Once again :tongue:

Norm

Greetings, Babs from Whitchurch. :biggrin: Lovely area there, I worked in Theale for a while and love riding out that way - had many a lunch in the Greyhound in Tidmarsh. :tongue:

Do you ride on tarmac or do you head off road as well?

OP
OP
B

Babs

Norm said:
Greetings, Babs from Whitchurch. :biggrin: Lovely area there, I worked in Theale for a while and love riding out that way - had many a lunch in the Greyhound in Tidmarsh. :tongue:

Do you ride on tarmac or do you head off road as well?

I agree there are lots of great rides...plenty of hills too! I used to work in Kingsclere so went past Theale every day in the car I have to say - but changed job with the intention of riding to work. And the Greyhound is still there.
I mostly ride on tarmac but there are some good tracks - there is a back way into Reading through Mapledurham which is fab; and there are lots of canal paths and along the river....

Norm

Aye, there's some lovely riding there. If you want to head off road, that's something to bear in mind when looking for a new bike. Something with big tyres, and possibly front suspension might be handy for you.

OP
OP
B

Babs

Yes I wondered about front suspension - I am pondering getting an inexpensive bike for work - and have a better bike for the week ends - leaving a good bike unattended in Reading is not a great idea! So far I only had my Brookes saddle nicked! and outside John Lewis too!

yoyo

I ride in your 'neck of the woods', have back problems and a broken coccyx (?spelling). I work in Tidmarsh Lane and I have done the Whitchurch - Mapledurham - Reading route on a few occasion. My bike is a Batavus Alamo with no front suspension as it adds too much weight but it has a suspended seatpost. The bike is good on all the steep hills in the area, but I have not tried Streatley Hill.

OP
OP
B

Babs

hi yoyo - that sounds painful - am impressed that you have even tried Streatley Hill!
I tried to get up Tidmarsh Lane through Sulham woods to Tilehurst but had to walk up the steep bit! Bit hairy with the cars and the bends, so I have found a different way. Mind you I came down Sulham Hill last week and clocked 31mph which for me is worse than going up! Purley Hill is great both ways.
I have been looking at the Batavus Apache - there are 3 in that range and was interested in the mid price one. Where did you get your bike from? How many gears has it got?

Top Bottom