Hello from SA. Visiting UK in 3 weeks and seeking advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all. I am originally from England but living in South Africa. I will be visiting England in 3 weeks and looking for advice on where to ride for myself but also with 2 children. We ride mtb trails mostly and really enjoy it. Not sure what would be the correct forum to ask my questions? Thank you.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hello @Roch and welcome to CC!
Try starting a thread in the family cycling forum, with more details about your location in the UK, the age of your kids, their cycling abilities.
Happy cycling!

OP
OP
R

Roch

Great! Thank you. Also looking for info on where to hire bikes as well as flying 3 bikes over is not possible.
Quite excited to experience trails in England and wondering how different it will be. Also how technical etc.

OP
OP
R

Roch

Some rides will be without the children too. Looking at near Diggle, Oldham , Saddleworth, Manchester. Don't mind travelling a bit. I'm reasonably fit but average on technical skills. Certainly no Cape Epic contender.....

Hey menheer try the peak District. Monsal trail great for kids. Disused railway line with lit tunnels. Tissngton trsil. Both have websites and cycle hire and good cafe.
Monsal trail best one is hassop station.
Tissngton trail - walk in tunnel to Buxton for ice cream

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Hi @Roch

I hope you enjoy your visit, I am not sure how far you want to travel but there are several trail centre's in the North of England, living in SA you might not consider these far away, I know Sherwood Pines, Cannock and Dalby have bike hire, not sure about the others, Sherwood Pines is good for kids routes, Dalby has other attractions for kids aerial walkways etc, plus more technical trails for yourself.

A bit of googling of the below should give you some flavour of what to expect.

• Stainburn, Yorkshire.
  • Sherwood Pines
  • Cannock Chase, Staffordshire.
  • Gisburn Forest, Lancashire.
  • Dalby Forest, North Yorkshire
  • Whinlatter Forest, Lake District.

OP
OP
R

Roch

Hi @Roch

I hope you enjoy your visit, I am not sure how far you want to travel but there are several trail centre's in the North of England, living in SA you might not consider these far away, I know Sherwood Pines, Cannock and Dalby have bike hire, not sure about the others, Sherwood Pines is good for kids routes, Dalby has other attractions for kids aerial walkways etc, plus more technical trails for yourself.

A bit of googling of the below should give you some flavour of what to expect.

• Stainburn, Yorkshire.
  • Sherwood Pines
  • Cannock Chase, Staffordshire.
  • Gisburn Forest, Lancashire.
  • Dalby Forest, North Yorkshire
  • Whinlatter Forest, Lake District.
Thank you so much. I appreciate it! I will go Google now.

Nibor

Bewildered
Some rides will be without the children too. Looking at near Diggle, Oldham , Saddleworth, Manchester. Don't mind travelling a bit. I'm reasonably fit but average on technical skills. Certainly no Cape Epic contender.....
If you are in the Manchester area Gisburn Forest is a good call with trails for all abilities http://www.gisburnbiketrails.com/ I believe there are bike hire companies in the ares.

Top Bottom