Hello from Sutton Coldfield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jparemain

Regular
Hi Guys,

I'm James and I'm 15. I've liked cycling for a very long time now but have never really took it very seriously. However I want to change that now, after being inspired by Olympics, Brad, etc. and motivated after someone at my school has said he is better than me (he is... at the moment).

I used to want to be a pro cyclist and race in the TdF- that was my 'dream', but it seems that ship has sailed and I'm too old to get into pro cycling now. But oh well!

I'd say I'm fairly fit but do have a terrible diet.. In the 'beep test' I can get up to stage 15-16 and in the 'Copper Run' I can get up to about 3200m. I know it's not amazing but I'd say it's not bad for a guy who barely does any exercise apart from a paper round every morning, 4 miles.

I'm about 5 10 and pretty skinny. Not sure of my weight though :tongue:

So hi! I look forward to being a member of CycleChat. Looks great :smile:

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Hello and welcome, a bad diet isn't the worst thing and is easily improved. The more you cycle the better you will get and a little bit of dedication your fitness will improve dramatically. When I started cycling my diet was pretty bad and involved a lot of beer I am best part of 6'2" and kept under 11 and a half stone when cycling, I went up to 15 stone within a month of packing it in. Find some decent routes and enjoy yourself

kedab

Veteran
I used to want to be a pro cyclist and race in the TdF- that was my 'dream', but it seems that ship has sailed and I'm too old to get into pro cycling now. But oh well!

i'd say you've still got plenty of time to aspire to that dream - if you get serious about your riding and fitness and if you've got talent then there's no reason why you couldn't make it - a pro level team's not going to take you on much before you're 20 (ish) anyway so that gives you 4 - 5 years and then some...dream big, live life, enjoy yourself :thumbsup:

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi and welcome.
First thing you need to do is join a club.You get to learn how to ride in a group and club members can advise you what to do in order develop your riding skills and fitness.
From there you can go on to racing as an amateur. If you do well as an amateur then you can look towards becoming a pro.
It takes a lot of time, effort and commitment to become a good racer and at 15 time is still on your side.
Go for it young man.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
:welcome: James.

I can't advise you on how to get into pro racing but I reckon Biker Joe has given good advice. So join a club, get into the amateur racing scene and who knows what could happen.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

jparemain

Regular
I've wasted no time, I've emailed the guy in charge at my local club and am determined to join them, get into amateur racing and hopefully do well! I have a terrible bike though and pretty much no proper gear except for a Livestrong ( :tongue: ) helmet and a bike. My Dad is fairly into cycling though (in the sense that he buys a lot of stuff haha, doesn't go out that much though) , he has a Peugeot bike which is pretty old but still half decent. Hopefully he'll let me go on his rollers!

Biker Joe

Über Member
I've wasted no time, I've emailed the guy in charge at my local club and am determined to join them, get into amateur racing and hopefully do well! I have a terrible bike though and pretty much no proper gear except for a Livestrong ( :tongue: ) helmet and a bike. My Dad is fairly into cycling though (in the sense that he buys a lot of stuff haha, doesn't go out that much though) , he has a Peugeot bike which is pretty old but still half decent. Hopefully he'll let me go on his rollers!

That's a good start. Well done.
Let us know how you get on.
If you ever want help , advice or want a bit of encouragement, or just a chat, this is the place to come.
Good luck James.

Top Bottom