Hello from tayside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rustyoil

Regular
I've commuting about a month now, approx 6.5 miles, seemingly all one long slow uphill, even when coming home!
Would be pleased to have to wiser heads share some knowledge with me.

Not new to cycling per se , but new to dedicated Commuting Cycling. Got a cheap hybrid a few years ago, and modifying as budget allows.

Feel realy good for doing the miles, apart from idiots in way / endangering me more than I endanger myself!

Thanks.

No camera yet, but a few grumbles, sorry in advance of venting!!!

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Hi there, Rustyoil, and :welcome:

No camera needed for venting, so go ahead and start immediately ^_^

If you ever feel like meeting some local CCers in the real world, keep an eye on the informal rides forums. We have somewhat irregularly organized group rides with everyone welcome to join in. The next one will be next weekend down here in Glasgow.

Hiya from a displaced Fifer :hello:
A lot of people rush out to buy a camera like its a glorified shield, its not, it may be useful for gathering evidence in the aftemath of a conflict but its better to avoid the conflict in the first place. Spend your money on better wheels/ tyres and other upgrades (it soon becomes addictive :whistle:) or a copy of cyclecraft if you feel you need riding advice.

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi and welcome
All the knowledge you could wish for on this site.
Take time to browse around. Tons of stuff on here and friendly people too.
If you have a grumble this is as good as any place to vent.
I wish you well.

eck

Über Member
Hi, wise words indeed from HLaB: aim for co-operation, not confrontation.
Whereabouts in Tayside are you? I don't know enough about who's where on here, but there are at least a couple of us here in Angus (the bad news is that Noodley is one). If it's any help, I've a spare copy of Cyclecraft if you'd like to borrow it?
Oh, and .... :welcome:

OP
OP
R

Rustyoil

Regular
Thanks all!

I was kinda kidding about the camera. (can't afford one anyway)
I've lurked enough to know that it's not the answer to all problems. Although I have a colleague who's been hit a few times by errant motorists and he insists on it for his legal backup in such events.

Will try not to vent overly, but probably not going to be able to resist sharing some commuting irks. :smile:

I do try to be as cooperative a commuter as possible, but careless dog walkers and joggers insisting on the 'wrong' side of the path (why not stick to the left?) will still evoke a quiet grumble from me. They seem to end up shouting at ME, not the other way round, merely because I gave them a funny look and mutter things under my breath! :rolleyes:

Really enjoying feeling stronger each day, despite all weather.

It makes my day when I emerge from my village onto the high path overlooking the Tay, and the morning light filters through the mist in fields and trees. On really still days or when the wind is just right, you can even occasionally hear the banjos over in Fife tuning up for the day. ;)

It's great to be out of a car.

cheers,

Joe D

Veteran
Hello from Tayside back at you. :thumbsup:
Watch out for them Fifers, I hear they still throw spears at that big fiery ball in the sky :sun:when it comes up in the morning.

Just kidding Fifers. :tongue:

Hello from Tayside back at you. :thumbsup:
Watch out for them Fifers, I hear they still throw spears at that big fiery ball in the sky :sun:when it comes up in the morning.

Just kidding Fifers. :tongue:
Can't help it my Mum's from Perth ;)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome: from Glasgow, Rustyoil: grumble away, plenty of sympathetic ears on here :hello:
Don't forget to enjoy the ride though! :bicycle:

Seamab

Thanks all!

It makes my day when I emerge from my village onto the high path overlooking the Tay, and the morning light filters through the mist in fields and trees.;)

It's great to be out of a car.

cheers,

Welcome Rustyoil. I know that the view of the Tay from the NCN road to Dundee at the top of Kinnoul Hill is outstandingly beautiful. The Perth ride we do every year starting at North Inch follows the Tay up to Luncarty. Such brilliant cyling country.

Welcome Rustyoil. I know that the view of the Tay from the NCN road to Dundee at the top of Kinnoul Hill is outstandingly beautiful. The Perth ride we do every year starting at North Inch follows the Tay up to Luncarty. Such brilliant cyling country.
I miss that view :sad:
This was somewhere round there.
100_1327.jpg

Top Bottom