Hello from Temwa!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Temwa UK

Hi all,

A pleasure to join the Cycle Chat community!

My name is Becky, I work for a small Bristol based charity called Temwa that works to empower people in remote communities of Malawi to tackle the root causes of poverty and transform their own futures, sustainably and with self-sufficiency. I am one of the fundraising coordinators as well as events producer and finance assistant at the charity (it's a small team...!)

Each year we organise a charity cycle... this year I've opted to take part! I'm nervous as I'm new to long distance cycling, so it'll require some proper training, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. It takes place from 12th - 15th September and we'll be riding from Bangor, north west Wales, to Bristol.

We're still on the look out for more participants, in case it appeals to you! And any training advice for someone who has rarely ever used a road bike or been on long distance cycles is very much welcomed, too.

Thank you!

Becky :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Welcome Becky.

Mid Sept, means you have just under 3 months to get some practice in. I won't say training as that is a dirty word for me and makes it sound like an athletic challenge. What you actually need is to simply spend as much time as possible on a bike between now and then.
I see the total route is 210 miles so you need to be able to cover around 50-60 miles a day which is not too much. The hard part will be doing that for 4 days on the trot! It isn't impossible but it won't be easy. You need to ride your bike, and then ride it some more. Ride it to work and home again, ride it to the pub, the newsagents, the in-laws, the cash point, the gym? Just ride it, regardless of weather. You need to be used to being on that bike, at all times and in all conditions. Riding your bike should be second nature and although you will find the big ride easier due to being with others and being pulled along by the camaraderie and euphoria of doing it, you may actually end up riding in horrible conditions and misery.
You can do it. Just think about the daily hardship and struggles of the people you are trying to help. Your few days of potentially soggy undercrackers and sore legs are nothing in comparison. On a positive note, you might get to do the ride in ideal conditions and if you have the right level of fitness it could turn into a jolly good caper, fingers crossed and good luck :okay:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I went on one of your rides in the West Country a few years back and raised barrel loads of cash for Temwa.

For some reason or another I never received any details of rides after that. Something I said? Or is it charity policy or something not to keep people’s details on file. I’ve always felt a bit awkward about charity events since. I’m intrigued.

Top Bottom