Hello from the far east

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hiyo

Hello I am a Japanese cyclist living near Tokyo. I have joined here to learn about cycling in the UK.
I lived in London and Brighton when I was younger.
I would like to go cycling around the UK someday, especially in the Lake District, Scotland, East Sussex and Cornwall.

Last edited:
Welcome to cyclechat! I've travelled widely but have never been to Japan.
You might want to look in Touring and Adventure Cycling, Your Ride Today, Recreational Rides, and any of the photo threads (Your Bike in Front of a Church/Gate/Bus-stop etc) for photos and writing that will doubtless tempt you!

Cycling is a wonderful way to see the UK - especially the less-visited, less-touristy parts of the UK.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Just had a look to see where you live. A few miles north of Tokyo. I’ve travelled in Japan but never cycled there.

If you wish to ride in the Lake District I’d also consider the Forest of Bowland, Yorkshire Dales, and Northumbria which are in the same region and can be easily connected. Hadrian’s wall is near the north Lake District as well.

The train stations for the Lake District are Penrith, Carlisle, Oxenholme and Windermere. The long distance trains take bikes though not as many as we would like.

The Scottish west coast now has carriages taking up to 20 or so bikes. So flying into Glasgow then taking train north would work well.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Hi, I lived in Japan for ten years. Cycling there is wonderful. Enjoy your time on Cyclechat.

OP
OP
hiyo

hiyo

Welcome to cyclechat! I've travelled widely but have never been to Japan.
You might want to look in Touring and Adventure Cycling, Your Ride Today, Recreational Rides, and any of the photo threads (Your Bike in Front of a Church/Gate/Bus-stop etc) for photos and writing that will doubtless tempt you!

Cycling is a wonderful way to see the UK - especially the less-visited, less-touristy parts of the UK.

KnittyNorah, thank very much for your comment and nice and useful links! This chat page is ideal for getting information and communication cyclists in the UK! I also think cycling is a wonderful way to travel. Not only visiting the sightseeing spots but also on the way to the spots, too!

OP
OP
hiyo

hiyo

Just had a look to see where you live. A few miles north of Tokyo. I’ve travelled in Japan but never cycled there.

If you wish to ride in the Lake District I’d also consider the Forest of Bowland, Yorkshire Dales, and Northumbria which are in the same region and can be easily connected. Hadrian’s wall is near the north Lake District as well.

The train stations for the Lake District are Penrith, Carlisle, Oxenholme and Windermere. The long distance trains take bikes though not as many as we would like.

The Scottish west coast now has carriages taking up to 20 or so bikes. So flying into Glasgow then taking train north would work well.

Thanks for your comment. Oh, you have travelled here in Japan. I'm glad to hear that. We have nice traffic free cycling roads. Hope you enjoy it someday. Thank you for your recommendations. I will check them out.
Thank you for the additional info. I thought Kendal (or Windermere) is the train station for easy to access to the Lake districts :smile:

OP
OP
hiyo

hiyo

KnittyNorah, thank very much for your comment and nice and useful links! This chat page is ideal for getting information and communication cyclists in the UK! I also think cycling is a wonderful way to travel. Not only visiting the sightseeing spots but also on the way to the spots, too!

Here's a link to a cycling map Bike map | Cycle route planner | cycle.travel which I use a great deal to plan routes (which I will probably never ride!) and which is pretty good at providing good, safe cycling routes all over the country (using traffic frequency data I think), and which indicates the presence of cycle tracks alongside roads which would otherwise be unsuitable, dangerous or merely not enjoyable for cycling. I have certainly found it very accurate both locally and a bit further afield.

OP
OP
hiyo

hiyo

Here's a link to a cycling map Bike map | Cycle route planner | cycle.travel which I use a great deal to plan routes (which I will probably never ride!) and which is pretty good at providing good, safe cycling routes all over the country (using traffic frequency data I think), and which indicates the presence of cycle tracks alongside roads which would otherwise be unsuitable, dangerous or merely not enjoyable for cycling. I have certainly found it very accurate both locally and a bit further afield.

KnittyNorah, Wow great thanks for the map! Actually I was going to ask someone about a map like this for planning routes.
This seems to be lot better than I expected :thumbsup:

Top Bottom