Hello from the Netherlands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank8265

Registered today here, so first let me introduce myself.

To start with the obvious, as my username states, I am Frank.

Construction started in 1964 and i was delivered in 1965. I live in The Netherlands (please don't call it "Holland" as that is just a part of the Netherlands) in a small town called Westdorpe. 5 km above the belgian border. Flat country, so not much climbing with the bike here.

I liked cycling since i was a kid. When I grew up and started to demolish other things than mum's stuff in the house, I started to enjoy tinkering at bikes. Which led to buying a Surly Disc Trucker frame in 2012 and building it up myself. And hey, the bike still rides and still is safe and reliable. Not bad for a first full build by myself.

As far as my life's career is concerned, I've been a truckdriver, roadworker, receptionist, project manager, archivist, operator and toxic waste collector. Among other jobs. At the moment i am a warehouse man / manager. Easy / lazy job for a change.

Besides my bicycle, other hobbies are music (allmost all genres, but mainly rock / hard rock / R&B / country / new age / rock 'n roll / jive & swing), reading (a bit), writing, d.i.y. and christmas. Although with the diy and the riding ( 2 x 30 km commute a day), not much time left for the other hobbies.

Used to be a bit of a bike hiker, till i got married with a woman who hardly ever rides a bike. What can you do...

Main motto in life: laugh when you can, be serious when you have to.

I may be a bit of a weirdo most times, but can be a serious / deep thinker too.

Any way, now you've got an pretty good idea who this new dutchman on these forums is and who you might be replying to.

I've included a picture of me on one of my first bikes (if not thé first) and a more recent picture. Just to show wine ages better than me.
wink.png

opfietsie2.jpg

profile_2.jpg

Grtz,
Frank

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Hello :welcome:

ScotiaLass

Guru
It's a nice country for cyclists with lots of variation. we even got some hills in the south east part! ;-)
Oh I live in Scotland, I don't need any more hills! :laugh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome to Cycle Chat, Frank!
Lucky you with all them cycle paths: at the moment, here in the UK, cycle at your own peril! :cycle:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Welcome aboard Frank!

I used to listen to Dutch radio all the time here when it came from the ships- Radio Veronica and Monique and more recently the brilliant land based Arrow Classic Rock. Shame it's gone from AM now- used to blast in over here in the East of England. I still listen online sometimes (and to Radio 10 also). My Dutch is therefore sadly limited to only knowing how to say 'Live from the North Sea on 963, this is Radio Monique'. It's not the most useful phrase in the world sadly!

Last edited:
Top Bottom