Hello from Wales...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

voodoochilli

OK, I joined up a few days ago and thought it was time to say a proper hello. I've already left a few messages in the beginners section and everyone has been so helpful, thanks! ^_^

My story is a long one, so I'll keep it as brief as I can. I wasn't a particularly happy kid and came from a broken family, my dad killed himself etc., but one thing I always enjoyed was being out in the fresh air. At school I would run cross country and at home I used to ride my bike with my only real friend. I had a Raleigh Milkrace and he had his trusty Pursuit. Long summers cycling around Herefordshire where I lived, skiving off school and copying each other's homework. But then my family moved again (I attended about 20-30 schools) and I lost my friend and my bike. I can't even remember where we moved to. A few years later I got put into foster care nearby where I lived as a kid - I was in the middle of nowhere, but I managed to get hold of an old bike and reunited with my old school friend who lived just a few miles away. It was as if I had never went away.

Then we learned about women and beer and life just seems to have passed me by. A few years ago it occurred to me that I wasn't making the most of my life. I had been engaged for 10 years, and spent most of my time working in front of the computer by day, and sat in front of the xbox and night. I would sit up until 4 in the morning drinking beer and shouting at Americans on Xbox live and basically being miserable. Also, around this point I was randomly assaulted and put in hospital and I developed what I can only describe as a form of social anxiety. I also suffered some physical health issues that further dented my confidence and made me kind of a hypochondriac. I wasn't happy. I stopped going out almost completely and shut myself off from most of my friends. Then out of the blue, somehow logic penetrated my alcohol saturated, self-pitying brain and I realised something had to change, and no one else was going to do it for me.

I cut back on the beer and started to get my crap together. In 2010 I married my beautiful fiancee of 10 years, my mate who I used to cycle with was my best man at my wedding and gave a speech that brought tears to peoples eyes. Last year my wife and I became parents of our amazing daughter. We also moved out of our horrible house where I was assaulted and brought our own home on the border of Wales. It's amazing here and the people are so nice! I'm eating better, doing regular exercise and, I hope, being a good father and husband. I've taken up weightlifting again and feel better than I have in a long time, physically and mentally. I've also started driving lessons again (can you believe it, I'm 34 and don't drive, yet!). I got back into chess. I'm writing my 3rd book (sci-fi), and today, I brought a bike and can't wait to start exploring the beautiful countryside and start rediscovering who I am a little more.

Sorry if it all sounds a bit dramatic or a little midlife crisis. The bike is an important step for me, it's hard to explain why, but I have tried. It symbolizes stability in a chaotic life. Maybe it doesn't make sense to anyone else. I was putting off buying it for a long time, I was actually scared to do it because I know it means I'll have to get back out there - in the world - and I'll be committed to it. I am and can't wait.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
A heartening story. Welcome! Some formidable hills up your way!

OP
OP
voodoochilli

voodoochilli

Ah you actually cycled around here then? I'm still trying to discover places to go and might try that one, thanks. Went on a nice walk today which looks promising while I wait for the delivery of my Triban 3 - Knighton to Knucklas route. Thought maybe I'll visit all the local towns and villages, widening my range each time.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ah you actually cycled around here then? I'm still trying to discover places to go and might try that one, thanks. Went on a nice walk today which looks promising while I wait for the delivery of my Triban 3 - Knighton to Knucklas route. Thought maybe I'll visit all the local towns and villages, widening my range each time.

Sounds a good plan. I house-sit for some friends who live at the top of a hill at Beggar's Bush. I enjoyed a route last time from there via Llangunllo and Knucklas to Knighton then along that little road north of the river to Bucknell. But I am most fond of any route that takes in the Harp Inn at Old Radnor. But there's no gettin' around them thar hills.

OP
OP
voodoochilli

voodoochilli

Sounds a good plan. I house-sit for some friends who live at the top of a hill at Beggar's Bush. I enjoyed a route last time from there via Llangunllo and Knucklas to Knighton then along that little road north of the river to Bucknell. But I am most fond of any route that takes in the Harp Inn at Old Radnor. But there's no gettin' around them thar hills.

Going to have to check that pub out!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Going to have to check that pub out!
The Harp, Old Radnor.jpg

Top Bottom