Hello - Help needed - Evans Cycles damaged my ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Well update folks is that the UK CEO (email provided by MissTillyFlop - thanks v much) has responded very rapidly and will be dealing with this matter going forward. I will provide an update when I have one. Lots of good advice thankfully received and acted upon. Thanks all.

Glad to be of assistance. I hope you get a more favourable response soon!

Spot on advice there Misstillyflop, as the reulsts show.

Well played.
Thanks!

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Hello from commuter world!
I ride a Montague X90 Swissbike that I bought from Evans last year and have had it serviced and maintained by them. It has had cause to go back to them on numerous occasions as they have fitted the wrong incompatible parts at times.
However my bike is a folder as I need to use a train too; and the mechanism started to sieze after the last service. It was returned and in attempting to take the mechanism apart - they have damaged it - the importers have said beyond repair. The unit is a sealed unit. Evans have been "dealing" with this now for 6 weeks and today I get an email saying that it is my fault as salt corrosion has led to damage. The report from the importers clearly states a "less destructive means of removal should have been applied" and "damage has occurred during servicing"...
Evans are seeking to blame my lack of maintaining a completely sealed unit, that they damaged.
I have bought many bikes from them in the last 10 years.
I'm absolutely staggered they'd do this...
Any ideas will be gratefully received.
Thanks
Any news?

jaynana

my new bike (bianchi impulso 105) has developed a rattling noise in the rear hub, 4 weeks and 350 miles on. fortunately first free service by evans was already scheduled on 28th tues. fingers crossed.. and legs!

j

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Rob was spot on

2 weeks ago I asked to be pointed in the direction of conti gp 4000s tyres and was offered gatorskins

Phoned up and asked for a headset and was on hold for 20mins and then had to explain what it was

Evans deansgate used to totally rock, wouldn't visit again, where's the old crew gone?

rb58

Enigma
In this day and age of internet guides and reasonably priced tools I can never udnerstand why any abled person would pay someone to work on a bike.
Perhaps because I don't have the time or inclination to do it myself? There are plenty of things in life I could do myself that I choise to pay others to do. Don't see anything wrong with that. And for what it's worth, I've used Evans several times and have always found the service pretty good.

Reactions: Maz
In this day and age of internet guides and reasonably priced tools I can never udnerstand why any abled person would pay someone to work on a bike.
Hilaire Belloc said:
Lord Finchley

Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light
Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right!
It is the business of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan.
More seriously, I'd happily give my cycle to a professional to take care of, if I could find one. I just flipped my bike over to try to adjust the gears a little, and found that my recent service (£160 including new cassette, chain, derailleur and a new rear wheel) neglected to set the high/low limit stop screws on the derailleur and I pushed the chain off the cassette into the spokes! And they knew I was taking it on the DunRun two days after that service.
So, I'm back to doing things myself, even though I'd rather not.

Maz

Guru
Here are a few reasons:
Don't have the time to do it themselves.
Don't have the confidence to do it themselves.
Don't feel inclined to do it themselves and are willing to pay someone to do it.

Top Bottom