helmet and visor for trikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuee147

hi all
can anyone out there recomend a helmet that will work on a recumbent trike.
iv decided now im going to be riding alot more on main roads in trffic it high time i invest in a cycle helmet, but due to the roads and weather im looking for a helmet with some form of visor. i wear glases so i thought if there was something out there that has a retractiible visor im not really into full face type helmets i think there a bit of over kill,

so dose anyone know of anything out there iv looked but the couple i have found with visors were removerble visors i was hoping to beable to just flip it up out of the way also i think i would lose it if i was to take it off lol

stuee

paul fellows

Have you considered a separate medical style visor [as seen on the CSI type programs]. I have no idea where you might get one. But given what they are you could probably make one yourself.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

Have you considered a separate medical style visor [as seen on the CSI type programs]. I have no idea where you might get one. But given what they are you could probably make one yourself.
i know the type of thing you mean they are quite easy to get but they arnt very ridgid i have worn them outside and even a slight wind will make it distort and flex i dont think it would stand up to a 10 to 20 mph wind while riding.
the onlythings iv seen that seem about right are airforce helmets they have the retractible visor but they are heavy and cost a fortune.

the main reason i want the visor is because i wear glasses and anyone who wears glasses will know in the rain it can be a real issue and also the roads im going to be riding along cut threw fields and woods so im expecting a few bug splats. the few helmets iv seen with visors all seem to have quite narrow visors as they are intended for road and MTB bikes where you lean forward.

im starting to think about the type of motor cycle helmet thats full face but with the chin bit that lifts up but again its the bulk of it that concerns me

classic33

Leg End Member
Have you tried ARCO for the visor?
Full face on a bike needn't be as big as one use in the workplace.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I just use glasses daily, but in extreme conditions I have some goggles. Not sure that a visor would offer any advantages?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A baseball Cap with long visor worked on my trike. But I appreciate some people like helmets. I never felt as though I was going to need a helmet on my trike.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I have a standard helmet - but bought one of those strange sun shades that look like a visor on a cap, but without the cap.. This threads through the front of my helmet and is good for the rain as well as being a much better sun visor (essential on a bent trike as it's much harder to avoid the sun on your eyes) Cheap and effective

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-05-23-34-26.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-05-23-34-26.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 35

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
This picture just about shows what it looks like when mounted on the helmet.
IMG_256564541455268.jpeg

I am the fat one on the trike!

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

thanks all for the ideas
@classic33 iv looked at workwear places i have seen some good ones that clip to a hard hat and can lift up ill have to order one and see if i can modify it to work on a cycle helmet rather than a hard hat lol
I just use glasses daily, but in extreme conditions I have some goggles. Not sure that a visor would offer any advantages?
iv looked at goggles but all the ones iv found so far push against my glasses and its not very nice lol

@mrandmrspoves i wear a cap/ hat most of the time but i find on a trike the wind has a tendency to lift it and i end up 50yrds further down the street than my hat lol but i must say i do like the idea of the peak under the helmet it would be a lot more secuer.

iv never used a cycle helmet on a bike and to be honest im not that worried about having one now its more the visor im looking into the main reasosn are the new rout i will be riding from next week runs threw a lot of woodlands and along filds so im expecting the clouds of midges and other flying bugs, but also for extra protection for my eyes. i suffer with sensitve eyes normaly when i ride even at 7 or 8 MPH my eyes will start to water with the wind even thow i wear glasses all the time they dont really stop the wind infact some times it can feel like they direct the wind into my eyes. i also suffer with migrains caused by bright light such as sun (not that we get much) and so i was thinking a couple of visors with different shades for different ride conditions.

i think im gona have to try and invent somthing as there apears to be a bit of a gap in the market here lol

On the trike the frames of my glasses are from a sun glasses range.
They are deeper than normal frames so basically stop the air flowing up my face and causing my eyes to water.
Plus I've bent them in the middle so they wrap around my face more.
With my normal glasses on my eyes start to water at around 30 mph, with my riding glasses I can get over 45 mph before I start to loose my vision ........... :biggrin:

I also find that my Streamer fairing is very good a deflecting bugs over me once I've got a little air speed.
I only eat a bug or so a year .......... xx(

Top Bottom