Helmet cam video on ITV Granada News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have just seen when I can only explain as a worrying error made by ITV.

There has just been a story where "Cyclists need to take more care on the roads". It prioritised large vehicles and showed a video. The video was from the Alley Cat race in London from about 5 years ago.

The news reporter said "This cyclist must have been in a hurry and was taking unbelievable risks". The cyclist was then knocked down when he tried to squeeze between a bus and 4x4. Here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0eWfIIhKeA

They then had a representative from Manchester Police talk about blind spots and showed a cyclist on the phone with no hands on the bars, a cyclist jump a red light, and another cyclist "weaving dangerously through traffic".

The attitude that ITV had towards cyclists was discraceful. I am dreading going out on my bike now as a lot of people around here will probably have seen the programme.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
TBF, cant see anything wrong from ITV there. Perhaps pointless and editorialy shallow, but valid none the less.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm not sure, but I don't think that clip is from an Alleycat. It looks like normal commuter behaviour to me.

That is how quite a few young scalliwags ride in London and it can be both entertaining and terrifying.

The truth is that some cyclists are daft... But we are the minority.

Don't let it get to you. Go for that ride anyway!
Normal commuter behaviour! BLAH! that is not normal!

Boy was he lucky!! couldnt believe after the crash another cyclist tries to squeeze through. This vidio doesnt mean all cyclists ride like idiots, enjoy you ride as normal.

Brandane

Legendary Member

There has just been a story where "Cyclists need to take more care on the roads". It prioritised large vehicles and showed a video. The video was from the Alley Cat race in London from about 5 years ago.

The news reporter said "This cyclist must have been in a hurry and was taking unbelievable risks". The cyclist was then knocked down when he tried to squeeze between a bus and 4x4.

The truth is, in this particular case, the cyclist WAS taking unbelievable risks. I am not quite getting your point here, Matthew. Surely you are not suggesting the bus driver was somehow to blame on this occasion?
Cyclist was 100% to blame for his own stupidity. The bus had already moved off, therefore the driver had already checked his mirrors and should have been quite rightly looking forwards to see what was ahead of him. He can't be looking in his mirrors ALL the time!

Some cyclists do ride like knobs; I don't see why this would put you off going out on your bike.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The truth is, in this particular case, the cyclist WAS taking unbelievable risks. I am not quite getting your point here, Matthew. Surely you are not suggesting the bus driver was somehow to blame on this occasion?
Cyclist was 100% to blame for his own stupidity. The bus had already moved off, therefore the driver had already checked his mirrors and should have been quite rightly looking forwards to see what was ahead of him. He can't be looking in his mirrors ALL the time!

Some cyclists do ride like knobs; I don't see why this would put you off going out on your bike.
Oh no, of course the cyclist was totally in the wrong. I am not disputing that. What I am saying is that the programme gave the impression that every cyclist cycles like this. They then reinforced that impression with RLJing and "weaving through traffic".
They were not clear with the purpose of the story.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Always two sides to a story, and unfortunately journalists can choose one or the other. TBH, most of the cyclists in the above video were being stupid. One even went down the gap the other cyclist has got squished in !

sabian92

Über Member
Saw this in the gym last night.

Me and my fiancee were watching the news and she looked horrified, I sadly wasn't as I'm sort of used to it watching a lot of helmet cammers on youtube.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
What gets me is that here in Australia (and perhaps also in the UK?) similar motorist behaviour doesn't get the same media coverage. So (for example) we don't see news segments on the idiots who regard amber lights as the signal to accelerate and red lights as a reminder to keep going through the intersection until the crossing lights go green! :angry: . People driving 1-tonne killing machines who regularly do this at intersections are the ones who really need to be highlighted in these news segments.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

The news reporter said "This cyclist must have been in a hurry and was taking unbelievable risks". The cyclist was then knocked down when he tried to squeeze between a bus and 4x4. Here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0eWfIIhKeA

They then had a representative from Manchester Police talk about blind spots and showed a cyclist on the phone with no hands on the bars, a cyclist jump a red light, and another cyclist "weaving dangerously through traffic".

The attitude that ITV had towards cyclists was discraceful. I am dreading going out on my bike now as a lot of people around here will probably have seen the programme.

The point of the news article was because the Manchester police are launching one of them initiative thingies to highlight the problem of blind spots, those things too many people who ride bikes aren't aware of... why this is wrong i have no idea.

Top Bottom