Helmet Camera Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Ok

I use a Muvi, I have had 2 accidents now and in the first one the force of the impact cause the SD card to come out and the second one wasnt caught as the battery had run out, due to me doing pretty long rides in the morning.

As you know my last accident has shaken me to the core, as such I want a camera that, 1. will no lose its damm card and 2. will have enough power for around 4 hours of video.

What would you reccomend and how much am I looking at spending ?

Thanks

Gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What you're looking for is a unit where the card is kept inside and has a 4 hour battery life. Hmmm 4 hours is a lot to ask for. Probably looking into the £200- £400 market.

I wrap an elastic band as a sort of Safety belt for the muvi as it had me realise with that near collision with the Land Rover that the MUVI would have flown away.

Ben1982

Nice, That looks ideal, good to see its waterproof, anyone here use one ? can you pst a video ? Whats it like at night ?

Thanks

Gaz

Hmm.. theres A Video on that page, and to be honest, it doesn't look all that impressive for the cost (could be the conditions, but for me that doesn't exactly sell it very well!)

BSRU

A Human Being
My personal recommendation from my experience is a Contour HD 720p or 1080p, you can change batteries so you could have two, one for your journey to work and one for your return, if required. Contour reckon one battery will last three hours, the longest I have used one is for 90 minutes so I do not know how long it will actually last. You can also buy non-Contour replacements which last longer, up to 5 hours. It is fairly waterproof but you can buy a waterproof case for it to make it very waterproof.

Ben1982

What would you suggest at that price point then mate ?

Unfortunately my personal experience only covers a £9 MD80 clone. Was just making a comment that from the video they give for that camera (and another I found on YT), doesn't really seem to live up to its price point.

My concern with the contour HD type camera is it's night time capability. For me it just doesn't look good enough. Of course if you have a 900 lumen light at the front....:ohmy::smile:

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
My personal recommendation from my experience is a Contour HD 720p or 1080p, you can change batteries so you could have two, one for your journey to work and one for your return, if required. Contour reckon one battery will last three hours, the longest I have used one is for 90 minutes so I do not know how long it will actually last. You can also buy non-Contour replacements which last longer, up to 5 hours. It is fairly waterproof but you can buy a waterproof case for it to make it very waterproof.

It seems my PA has set my budget to £165, How much do the Contour HD 720p come in at ?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
My concern with the contour HD type camera is it's night time capability. For me it just doesn't look good enough. Of course if you have a 900 lumen light at the front....:ohmy::smile:

That is true. I've yet to see good night time footage from any HD camera. I will be getting a better lighting system for this winter, will be interesting to see what difference it makes.

It seems my PA has set my budget to £165, How much do the Contour HD 720p come in at ?

More than that on my last check.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Re the ContourHD's, are they one self contained unit ? or are they like the mini dvr2 ? if they are one unit how secure is the SD card?

Top Bottom