Helmet foam inserts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
Hi,

I have a Bell Lumen helmet that is now 2 years old. The foam inserts have disintegrated a fair bit. The helmet get almost daily use.

I have searched online and cannot find direct replacement foam inserts. Well, actually I can, but only from USA at a cost of about £20.

In the absence of genuine foam replacement, is there any generic stuff I could use? I don't mind using a pair of scissors and some glue.

thanks

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You can buy reels of self-adhesive foam tape from people like CPC Farnell, Maplin, RS etc. There are loads of different sizes and foam types.

BorderReiver

Veteran
If the foam plays any role in protecting your head in a collision (and I would imagine it has some part to play) I would be wary of replacing it with generic foam tape. Just a thought.

U

User6179

Hi,

I have a Bell Lumen helmet that is now 2 years old. The foam inserts have disintegrated a fair bit. The helmet get almost daily use.

I have searched online and cannot find direct replacement foam inserts. Well, actually I can, but only from USA at a cost of about £20.

In the absence of genuine foam replacement, is there any generic stuff I could use? I don't mind using a pair of scissors and some glue.

thanks

Your Google Fu is sadly lacking ^_^
Subscribe to the newsletter for £5 discount , might have minimum spend .
https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/pad-kit-bell-lumen-43461?gclid=CKTc9dj4y9ACFZQy0wod0hMDuw

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Thanks all. My googling skills did indeed fail me, however both swinnertons cycles and the athlete shop both charge minimum of £7.50 for postage, which is rediculous. I am not buying from either of these stores out of principle.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks all. My googling skills did indeed fail me, however both swinnertons cycles and the athlete shop both charge minimum of £7.50 for postage, which is rediculous. I am not buying from either of these stores out of principle.
Athleteshop are in the Netherlands, hence the cost

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
*MOD*

Minor tidy completed. Let's stick to advice as asked, we all know where the pros and cons and useful/not posts belong.

Ta

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Well I did it, purchased a roll of 5mm thick sticky foam for a few pounds and cut it to size. Doesn't look the best, but feels wonderful.

153101-ac08e97459cb119cc0631a076bb39dab.jpg

sanddancer

Well I did it, purchased a roll of 5mm thick sticky foam for a few pounds and cut it to size. Doesn't look the best, but feels wonderful.

153101-ac08e97459cb119cc0631a076bb39dab.jpg

Although I wouldn't employ you as my tailor :biggrin:
your happy with it, does the job and besides, nobody is going to see it.
;)

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Actually, the 5mm thick tape is a bit too thick making the helmet too small if I wear a skull cap as well. Its ok without a skull cap though. I should replace it with some 3mm foam

Top Bottom