Helmet hygine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
No, its not click bait...let me just pause to get @Fnaar s jokes out the way.

Wait

Ok. So as a commuter I find the hot weather creates an issue with the soft spongey pads inside my lid. The forehead one in particular gets a good soaking of sweat and needs almost constant cleaning to stop the build up taking on a rather fruity aroma.

After every ride I now hose the pads out with the garden hose at the side of my house and leave it to dry ready for the next day. In addition I wash the pads (by hand, with powder) each weekend.

Its a chor, is there another solution?...the whiff after a weeks riding is really of putting and I worry that the skanky pad is not good for my forehead, I've read of riders developing a rash etc.

Any neat ideas?

Ps, it's a pricey, lightweight, very well ventilated lid

Ok @Fnaar, you can get up now.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I try to keep my smutty interjections to the cafe :smile:

On the whiffy helmet issue, I can't offer anything useful, as I only wear a helmet when required by a sportive. And it's black, not purple. :okay::smile:

tobykenobi

Über Member
I do similar to you - well I don't wear a helmet when commuting (short ride, normal clothes) - but after a long ride on the road bike I always soak the helmet in hot soapy water for a few minutes, rinse and leave to dry.

No help, except to salute your bravery in asking the question. My wife always makes some comment like "Are you washing your helmet properly?", "Is that liquid dripping off your helmet?", etc, etc. So funny.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Bucket, hot water, Milton and a weight to submerge the helmet - I find that works for me.
Milton is the name of my single speed, so that feels like a good solution (scuse the pun).

You leave it to soak overnight and put it on wet?

Or do you just need to leave it for a bit...also do you use the same cocktail and just leave it in the bucket, or start a new mix every day.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
+ 1 ish to Andrew P and tobeykenobi washing up bowl and Oxy hand wash powder worked in by hand rather than left to soak.

it is a rare treat to get that far though as I'm not a routine helmet wearer and do similar to you with a quick plain water rinse when I have ridden wearing it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Back in the day I never bothered - just airing the thing got it relatively unsmelly. These days I find that hair washes very easily.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Milton is the name of my single speed, so that feels like a good solution (scuse the pun).

Or do you just need to leave it for a bit...also do you use the same cocktail and just leave it in the bucket, or start a new mix every day.
Get a second helmet, and have one soaking/drying while you're wearing the other?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I take the pads out of the helmet, put them in an old camping towel mesh bag and they put them in the washing machine on a 30 or 40 degree wash with my regular laundry. For inbetween times I have some helmet freshener stuff from Purple Harry. Good for gloves and shoes too. I don't put my shoes though the washing machine, although I have been known to wash trainers and plimmies

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
One of my less-used helmets went mouldy so I think they need cleaning but it's yet another part of the helmet faff.

Giro's helmet manual says "We recommend cleaning your helmet with mild soap and water"

The more lawyerific Specialized's says "Use only water, mild soap and non-abrasive cloth to clean the helmet’s shell, pads and retention system. WARNING: This helmet can be damaged by contact with common substances (for example, certain solvents (ammonia), cleaners (bleach), paints, abrasives) and this damage may not be visible to the wearer. Do not use this helmet if it has been exposed to such substances."

I expect immersing a helmet with a weight on top would invalidated any guarantees but not even Spesh are warning against it yet.

There is another very obvious solution, of course... ;)

Andrew_P

In between here and there

I tend to do it Saturday evening, If I go out Sunday morning I will use an old spare. Have been known to do it a few times a week, during the week it goes in around 5 and comes out at 8, if its wet in the morning so be it. New Milton every time. Anything that has an anti bacterial element should do it, I just use Milton in case I don't rinse well enough wouldn't want bleach sweat dripping in to my eyes!

Top Bottom