Helmet hygine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
When I used to wear one it was a case of spray with a Milton solution and leave to air dry. No nasty niffs or rashes.
That's a brilliant idea! I also do my water bottles in Milton. I think there is an opportunity here that Milton should be having a go at.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I wear a bandanna under my helmet in hot weather; contrary to common sense it seems to work. Also nice as you can take the helmet off when you have a break/cake stop and when you put it back on, it's not moist.

alvintc

Veteran
odd - mine gets drenched daily (commute is 25-35 miles a day depending on how I feel), sometimes by sweat others by rain, quite often both. I mop it out every morning (it's only just reached the point where it air dries over night) and I can't smell anything on it....

Mines a kask jobbie if that makes any difference.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My helmet smells gross right now. Will have to wash the pads and give it a chem clean. Some antisceptic wipes will help.

speccy1

Mine never gets "fragrant" and it gets a good drenching of sweat every day, plenty of salt to clean off though, but no whiffs

subaqua

What’s the point
when I wore one for commuting i used to put it a pillow case and wash it on the "normal" wash setting with no detergent or softener. seemed to work OK

Slightly OT

Get a Buff and soak it in water

Then wring dry, place in plastic bag and put in freezer compartment

When riding, remove from bag and wear (with or without helmet)

Brilliant cooling and reduces need to clean the helmet

Mrs M

Guru
I usually wear a buff or skull cap under helmet.
Wipe down with Dettol spray then hang outside for a bit to dry. :smile:

Remember, most helmets must not have anything worn under them, according to the manuals. If you're going to wear one, wear it properly :sad:

What about wearing something over your helmet

Sometimes it can protect you from unpleasant consequrnces

Top Bottom