helmet laws?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Was that through scouts , smithing similar or was it something you had to do?
No, it was the bog standard cycling proficiecy test, I did it at primary school at 9yo or so, as morphed into Bikeability

It wasn't a prerequisite for riding on the roads at all (bit of a flippant quote ofAdrian's flippant 'allowed to' bit) but a few hours out of the classroom & a nice little badge at the end of it.

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I had to take a course before I was allowed to ride on the road. It was called the cycling proficiency test. I have the little triangular badge to prove it somewhere.
Yeah but you're old!

snorri

Legendary Member
Good to know I don't need to buy a helmet and sign up for a Bikeability training course.

Bikeability is aimed at "the next generation", but some adult training may be no bad thing in order to acquaint you with UK signs road markings etc.. Some study of the Highway Code could also help keep you out of trouble!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I failed the Cycling Proficiency. Apparently being able to do the slalom ride with no hands and pulling wheelies after an imaginary stop line are not proficiencies that are required. I may have been failed for not taking it seriously enough.
You didn't take it in Strood in the late 70's did you? 'Cause we had a kid turn up, do that and get thrown out and failed.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Apparently being able to do the slalom ride with no hands and pulling wheelies after an imaginary stop line are not proficiencies that are required. I may have been failed for not taking it seriously enough.
So, now we know where Peter Sagan got his finishing-line, road-show ideas from! ^_^

Ansome

I think we have successfully saved this thread from being moved now but have entirely gone off the point of it...

It is not necessary to either speak or understand road signs in French, no. (That was the question wasn't it?)

Reactions: _aD

Dan B

Disengaged member
If only there was a test drivers have to take prior to.....oh wait.....hang on....
prior to ... driving a tonne and a half of metal around at up to 70mph? It's not a bad idea but in the interests of fairness, I think cyclists should be expected to take the same test before they get to drive a tonne and a half of metal around at up to 70mph

Top Bottom