helmet laws?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silk186

When I came to the UK a few months ago I did a quick search and found that the UK has no helmet requirement.
However, a co-worker of mine said that he was hit by a car and didn't receive anything from the accident because he wasn't wearing a helmet. He also told me that UK cyclist are required to take some kind of safety course.

Can anyone clarify the UK regulations? When I was injured by a taxi running a red light the money helped pay for my first two years of school. In addition, if this is the case I would feel less safe if drivers knew they would not need to pay compensation in the event of an accident.

I personally don't want to wear a helmet. I think that cars drive closer cyclists wear helmets. I was required to wear one in Canada and complied with the regulation.

I would appreciate it if anyone could post a link to a concise, accurate and up-to-date list of UK regulations cyclists should be aware of.

No law for helmets. No course requirement either. Your friend is either lying or mistaken.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I had to take a course before I was allowed to ride on the road. It was called the cycling proficiency test. I have the little triangular badge to prove it somewhere.
Me too but for the sake of boring accuracy for @silk186 it is not a compulsory course as per motorised vehicles. You can get on a bike and ride legally without helmet and without any form of lesson or test certificate.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Me too but for the sake of boring accuracy for @silk186 it is not a compulsory course as per motorised vehicles. You can get on a bike and ride legally without helmet and without any form of lesson or test certificate.
Was that through scouts , smithing similar or was it something you had to do?

young Ed

Veteran
Aye, that old scare story is trotted out on a regular basis.

I can see this thread becoming prolonged and heated before the mods step in and move it. A helmet saved my life, anyone? :popcorn:
helmet sav....
Cheers Ed

boydj

Legendary Member
It is also the case that, in the event of an accident, the lack of a helmet will not be an issue........ unless there is a head injury involved, in which case an insurer will probably argue for a reduction in damages.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I had to take a course before I was allowed to ride on the road.
You didn't "have to" unless it was your mum telling you of course!
I've got my little triangular badge somewhere, I think it's with my ASA bronze, silver and gold swimming badges...........
......and he scuttles off to root though a drawer.

Ganymede

Veteran
When I came to the UK a few months ago I did a quick search and found that the UK has no helmet requirement.
However, a co-worker of mine said that he was hit by a car and didn't receive anything from the accident because he wasn't wearing a helmet.
It's true that in the UK you are free not to wear a helmet (also free to indulge in endless online debates about it) and although I know of nobody who's been refused an insurance payout due to not wearing one, the phrase "Mr Cyclist-knocked-down-and-seriously-injured-in-the-legs was not wearing a helmet" looms mysteriously and disapprovingly in many newspaper reports, both of incidents and of court proceedings following incidents. If I were you I'd check the truth of your co-worker's assertion - could be that the insurance co tried to be purse-lipped about it but didn't get anywhere.

Re your request for regulations - have a rummage on the CTC site: http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/regulations

And there's always the Highway Code.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Aye, that old scare story is trotted out on a regular basis.

I can see this thread becoming prolonged and heated before the mods step in and move it. A helmet saved my life, anyone? :popcorn:
My polystyrene mould injection business was dwindling so badly I couldn't pay the bills. I became depressed and seriously contemplated suicide. But then the cycle helmet came along and saved my life*.

*May contain factual infelicities.

Top Bottom