Cycle helmets in Spain, what's the score.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is not a debate about the wearing or not wearing of helmets for protection, that's another topic entirely and not to be discussed here.

I'm going cycling in Spain and having read the rules around helmet use on a bicycle think I am not being unreasonable expecting not to wear one while there. It will be hot and hilly so two of the exception clauses could be applied.

I don't wear a helmet unless taking part in competitive or organised events that make it a condition of entry and do own a fairly budget helmet that gets dusted off maybe once a year just for that purpose.

I will be cycling around Girona, inland and out to the coast, and despite searching on this site and more generally on the web I am struggling to gauge what current enforcement is like. I don't want to ruin a good holiday with frequent run-ins with the police over there. Does anyone have any recent experience?

icowden

Veteran
Most of the discussion I could find on that there internet thingy suggest that you will probably be OK not wearing one, but you should probably have one with you so that if a bored copper asks you to put it on, you have one to put on. From what I could find, most cycling Spaniards will be behatted.

As you point out there are exemptions for excessive heat, but no definition of what counts as excessive, and also for going up hills - presumably you have to put it back on once you have got to the top though...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have done 2 tours of Spain sans helmet with no problems what so ever. I was in Spain a couple of weeks ago for a third tour. This time I did take a lid as my insurance insisted on it. However it was strapped to my pannier a good few times.

The rules are pretty convuluted. You don't have to wear one climbing hills or in towns/cities or when its hot. You have to wear one in rural flat areas.
I think that's the rules, others may know better

However, I think you would have to come across a very officious Spanish cop who would stop you for not wearing one. Probs just for breaking other rules of the road. They would just probably ask you to put the helmet on.
We passed many Police and they were not bothered in one iota.

If the insurance had not insisted in head protection then I would not have taken one and not worried about it.

Enjoy cycling in Spain. There really is no other European country better for cycling and attitudes towards cyclists imvho.
The roads over there are great with very few pot holes. Lovely smooth tarmac even in the mountains
Car drivers are great too, 99 out of 100 will pass you very wide and treat you with respect.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If I take one it will be to wear it, certainly not carrying one around 'just in case' and the only place to carry it would be on my head anyway.

Just wonder if this is like the UK bicycle law about reflectors, never enforced? (Unless you are an abrasive gobshite that just annoys everyone they meet).

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think if challenged my standard response should be 'I have not worn one today because it is so hot' rather than trying to argue that I do not wear a helmet full stop (which would be illegal).

The weather will be 26/27°C or more which is certainly hot by UK standards.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I used to go to the Costa Blanca every March. There used to be a mix of us helmet-wearing/not and generally there was not a problem with that.

However, one year I came down a big descent near Benidorm 5 minutes behind my group (I had been dropped on the climb!) and found that they had been stopped in front of me. Every rider without a helmet got an on-the-spot fine.

That was about 20 years ago.

I would guess that you would probably get away with not wearing a helmet, but might not. Check out what the fine would be and decide if you want to take a chance on it!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
think if challenged my standard response should be 'I have not worn one today because it is so hot' rather than trying to argue that I do not wear a helmet full stop (which would be illegal).

This.... just be a little contrite, apologise and i'm pretty sure you'll just get a waved finger.

Sallar55

Veteran
Watch out for the traffic cops and in the towns avoid the young ones just out of police college. All depends on who stops you, traffic cops just slowed down and pointed to my head. The young one gave me a lecture, always have the helmet hanging off the bars if on a road bike or hanging off the panniers on the tourer. Once they were doing a customs check south of Andorra, a few senior officers were around, a bunch of cyclists appeared and were sent back up the road to buy cycling helmet in Andorra. Cheaper than a fine or buying one in the next cycle shop.

DogmaStu

As an aside, having lived in the Algarve for over 5 years, quite apart from my personal pro-helmet wearing policy, I actually prefer to have my head shielded from potential sunburn on very hot days. I wear a thin cap under my helmet for added protection, the helmet being so light that it makes zero difference to making me feel any warmer.

I would recommend a cap then at the least if cycling in a very Sunny clime for hours at a time unless you have a very thick head of hair! ^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As an aside, having lived in the Algarve for over 5 years, quite apart from my personal pro-helmet wearing policy, I actually prefer to have my head shielded from potential sunburn on very hot days. I wear a thin cap under my helmet for added protection, the helmet being so light that it makes zero difference to making me feel any warmer.

I would recommend a cap then at the least if cycling in a very Sunny clime for hours at a time unless you have a very thick head of hair! ^_^
I didn't find a helmet alone offered much sun protection...

Another reason I wear a bandana is that I have a bald spot. I burned it through the slots in my helmet on one sunny ride in Wales. It got a few laughs, but red stripes down the back of the head are not a good look and they hurt! I don't like putting sunblock on my head. The bandana seems to give me enough protection from the sun.
:laugh:

Top Bottom