Helmet size.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I’m a 56 head. The helmet I like is sold out in medium but the small is 52-56.
The medium is 54-58.
I should be ok with the small with a hat on right? Or would you go M & be in between instead of at the outer edge?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The answer is to try it on. Cycle helmets are not something for distance buying unless you are replacing an existing item like for like.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm near the top end of my helmet's size range and it's snug, I can't get a hat on under the helmet.... my lid is Medium 54-60 and I'm a 58 head. I'd hang on for the next size up if wearing a hat is important. It can depend on the make to an extent too but middle of the size range is where I'd aim i think.
All this is based on buying a helmet make that I've already tried previously by the way, knowing what shape fits you is important.

vickster

Legendary Member
you could try both, but I’d get the larger one and adjust especially if wearing something underneath (in my case that’s lots of hair :laugh:)

Drago

Legendary Member
Im with Skol - you need to try it on.

Leaving aside the sizing, you don't know if it will fit your head shape without trying. For example, my noggin is a fairly squarish shape and I simply cannot wear Giro lids, but relatively inexpensive Uvex bonce potties fit like a glove.

Sizing and fit are arguably more important that any other characteristic - go to a shop and try them on.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
The trouble is LBS have to order in. There’s a world cycling stock shortage. I don’t often bother with a cap. I may just take a risk, can always post it back.
I have a 10% code for the HexR helmets if anyone wants it. £299 & designed to your very own head through a phone app. You ware a special cap & take a sequence of pictures, send them on then they produce your lid & post.
Phil Lovett ended up advertising for them as they saw one of his vlogs on YouTube.
Even with the discount they’re still a bit too pricey & they seem to really suit Phil but look a bit naff on general random people.

Top Bottom