Helmet life expectancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alun

Guru
Apologies if this has been asked before, but how often should a cycle helmet be replaced if not damaged in a crash, ie as a result of normal wear and tear, UV degradation etc?

What does it say on the tin?

Mile195

Veteran
I go by the same thing Motorcycle helmets say - 5 years or when dropped on the tarmac several times :blush:
Or fallen off the pillion seat, onto the concrete floor of a multi-story car park. Twice. whoops...

J4MIE_P

If its not broken don't fix it :tongue:

Honestly though I'd say every 5 years or so you'll end up buying a new bike frame anyway or maybe a little longer so buy a new helment to match the bikes colour schemes.

Davidc

Guru
Can't see any point in replacing them.

Mine only exists to keep SWMBO happy and I've conceded that on some (not all) charity and organised rides the insurers insist on them so I'll wear one. It gets worn when the weather's cold, and a few other times so doesn't get much UV exposure, it's been dropped a good few times but hasn't cracked yet. I did have to stick the inside lining back onto the outside harder plastic with No More Nails a couple of years ago. It'll be on my head on Sunday for the Air Ambulance ride because they're now compulsory there.

As I accept the available evidence that it is of no net safety benefit I can see no point in ever changing it. 6 years old and should still be in use in another 6.

Licramite

Über Member
My road helmet must be ten years old and its had a few knocks , but nothing to deform the inner liner and the outer is still fine.
I would say it it looks broken it probably is. otherwise its fine.
my off road helmet was all shinny and new, but alas no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom