Helmet lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

Actual head torch systems in plastic not such a problem - the Exposure range which are machined aluminium torches, well I wouldn't fancy hitting anything head first with that strapped to a helmet.

I only use the helmet for off XC riding at night though so head/tree interface is a known danger.

Visit the haberdashery at the market and purchase shock cord/elastic cord like you find in the hem of a fleece.

Also pick up some cheap cord lock toggles as well, I don't like the way cable ties cut into the foam inner of the helmet at all, I find shock cord offers a better and more adaptable fit, some adjustment when needed and it will also tear away better if you have a crash.

The open tabs on the Gamma allow you to remove the straps as well.

Here is one I prepared earlier with a similar light

DSCF0534.jpg

DSCF0532.jpg

DSCF0535.jpg

DSCF0539.jpg

DSCF0529.jpg
Excellent knowledge there Zoiders, thanks. I had been contemplating breaking out GLW's sewing machine and making some small Velcro straps, but this will be much more elegant. Nb I have v poor sewing machine skills.

Zoiders

If you mean it's not the latest all singing and dancing light system for £100+ maybe it's not but it's still a perfectly servicable head torch for the OP's needs.

It's cheap to buy and cheap to run and it will do at a push for even unlit lanes

siadwell

Guru
http://www.evanscycl...ht-set-ec024291

If you are looking for something small thats good for being seen rather than a main light for seeing with, these are good.

Second this.

I have a set (when they were once a fiver at Planet-X) and mount the rear one on my helmet. It's a doddle to attach and remove via the vents on top of my Spesh lid. The front one is brighter, so should be fine for a bit of additional visibility and reading maps, computer etc.

OP
OP
coffeejo

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
If looking for something just to read a map, then any backup type light - that's a bit pricey for one of them though.

Are you wanting to see your way ?

No, that's what the Hope Vision's for. I briefly mounted that on my helmet and it was brilliant but horribly heavy.

I like the look of the harry thingies :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The flash harry's are often given away with magazines - they are enough to read maps with.

Tesco do a copy of the flash harrys for about £2 and a copy of the Sigma Micro light (white/red cases - big button on top) that are about £3 rather than £7 for the original, and they are just as bright. The Sigma Micro/Tesco copy is enough to find your way round a dark room.

Zoiders

[QUOTE 1543183"]
No, it's not bright enough for unlit cycling at anywhere near decent speeds.

And no, you only have to compare it with a 35 quid torch, which will allow you to keep a decent speed in otherwise darkness, to see that there's much better for not much more.
[/quote]The light I use has the same emitter as the old gamma in an orange peel reflector and on unlit tow paths it's done the job on occasions as back up.

You certainly don't have to crawl along and as an addition to the P4 on the bars it's been good enough as a close in spot on Cannock Chase at night in the depths of winter and we certainly don't ride slowly.

Zoiders

[QUOTE 1543189"]
Yup, that agrees with what I said. I've had a gamma for a few years. It's not good enough alone for decent riding, especially when there are far better alternatives for not much more.
[/quote]£12 against £30+ is quite a bit more though isn't it?

The flash harry's are often given away with magazines - they are enough to read maps with.

Tesco do a copy of the flash harrys for about £2 and a copy of the Sigma Micro light (white/red cases - big button on top) that are about £3 rather than £7 for the original, and they are just as bright. The Sigma Micro/Tesco copy is enough to find your way round a dark room.

my ones were from tesco as a prezzie but i couldnt find them to link to.

edit: been trying to upload an image to show you how i did it but i am useless at it.

pm me if you want a photo.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Tesco Micro LED, pair red and white for £4. The white one will be fine for map reading as the OP asks, and has it's own little shock cord which will attach to a peak. I's use tape personally, or on my old Bell helmet used to simply jam it in the vents.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Not quite what the OP was asking....

Our local petrol station had an offer of 4 LED torches for £5.99

two keyring ,one about 6" and a small 3" one

I have tiewrapped the 3" one on my helmet so I can see my trip computer at night as the backlight is a waste of time

works a treat :thumbsup:

Fiona N

Veteran
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Would an Electron Backupz light fit onto a helmet?

If you're going for something this small - look at the Knog lights as you'd be able to stretch the handlebar/seat post fitting rubbery thing around the holes in the helmet. I use Knogs as a 'get me home legal' lights in summer and they're a nice little lights.

For Audax - reading signs and maps at night, I use a Petzl Tikka Plus, but then I don't usually wear a helmet so fitting's not a problem as it goes great over the peak of my cap.

Top Bottom