Helmet mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless youre disabled and have restricted mobility, avoid mirrors on a bicycle. Human nature being what it is they will quickly become a substitute for actually looking properly.

Much like indicators, theres a very good reason they aren't popular.

In addition, avoid attaching anythimg to a helmet that you wouldn't want rammed through your skull.:stop:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
my road bike has one on the drop bar. when I ride the roads I use one on my glasses as well. they compliment each other nicely
Bike: "Hello glasses, you're looking nice today"
Glasses: "Thank you bike, you're looking pretty dapper too"

Flavio

Regular
I use "Sprintech Road Drop Bar Rearview Bike Mirror - Safety Bicycle Mirror" it is stable and useful especially when you have to avoid a pothole.
When I have to turn ... I always prefer to turn my head and look :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I love my helmet mounted mirror. It lets me focus on the road and know what is coming. In thousands of miles, it has never got in the way or caused a hazard. As mentioned above, I love my Varia with radar. It also tells me what is behind me and is an improvement to the mirror in letting me know a vehicle is coming audio signal but not which lane it is in. I typically use both since I do not use my Varia for my intown commutes (it would go off all the time).
I also turn my head to check especially when turning (left in the USA) but the mirror is the first check which helps me in my decision making on the road.
Which helmet mirror are you using?

If you did fit one don't rely on it as the only rear view as it will have limited range of vision - a look over your shoulder to double check is always needed - so why bother? Personally, I'd also be worried about possible injury to face in event of an off...
yep - as a car driver I always looked over my shoulder as an addition to the wing mirror, particularly when changing lanes. Keep it simple and safe, minimise reliance on external devices.

davidphilips

Veteran
Have considered helmet mirrors but as Drago said avoid attaching anything to your helmet that you would not want rammed through your skull.
If fitting a mirror perhaps a bar end mirror for drop bars.
But best of all is to practice looking behind its not just a matter of turning and looking as you end up moving across the road but practice keeping elbows bent and before you glance around look ahead for any danger.
Watched veloharmony review bar end mirrors and he recommends them thats only reason i said perhaps a bar end mirror but my view is looking behind on a bike is a skill thats very easy to learn for most of us but sadly overlooked (sorry the bun), been behind many cyclists that move out when looking around and its not very safe looking for both themselves and other cyclists cycling with them?

RichardB

Slightly retro
Unless youre disabled and have restricted mobility, avoid mirrors on a bicycle. Human nature being what it is they will quickly become a substitute for actually looking properly.

Got to disagree with you there. After 40 years of riding a motorbike, I am used to using a mirror to see what is behind, and then using the 'life-saver' shoulder check before executing a manoeuvre. I can't see how a bicycle is any different, except that the speeds are lower. I have mirrors on two of my bikes and use them constantly. On the bikes without mirrors, I am probably less aware of what is behind me. Even a quick duck of the head takes time and takes your attention off the road ahead. With a mirror, it's a tiny movement of the eyeball and I probably scan behind every few seconds. I don't think there is any way you could say that with mirrors I am not looking properly.

I do agree that anything attached to your helmet will be a hazard in a crash - either punching through the flimsy plastic or catching on something and giving your head a sharp twist, neither of which your brain really likes. Anything attached to a motorcycle helmet by the manufacturer (such as raised vents) are designed to be lightweight and come away with the slightest knock.

I did try one, but, could not get away with it. Now use bar-end mirror. But, I always do a "life-saver" check by actually LOOKING over my shoulder before changing direction, a relic from my motorcycle training. I even do it when driving our car, or Motorhome.

Same here, and it's saved my bacon in the car more than once.

a.twiddler

Veteran
They are a bit Marmite, aren't they. As a lifelong motorcyclist I have got used to having rear vision at-a-glance through using mirrors though the effectiveness has been variable depending on what model they are attached to. Quite often I have had to come up with a non standard option.

As far as bicycles are concerned, I have found various generations of the Mirrycle to be effective for me since the 1980s. In recent years I have developed neck problems which has limited my neck movement and so suggesting a "life saver" is all very well -at junctions I can come to a halt and twist my upper body round but it's not so easy while on the move. A combination of bike mirror, hearing and using what movement I still have seems to work for me.

A few years ago I tried a Blackburn mirror (I think) attached to a helmet which in itself worked well. It made me feel a little nerdy but in fact an onlooker can barely see it unless they know it's there. It needed accurate setting up, and would clip to my helmet but needed additional duct tape to stop it from vibrating out of place -a small movement makes a lot of difference to the aim. In the end, it was the fact that I didn't generally wear a helmet that caused me to stop using it, not that it wasn't effective. Also the Mirrycle on the handlebar was always there and ready to go.

Fast forward to last June when I bought a recumbent. It is hard enough to see behind on one of these without neck issues, and I became paranoid about rear vision. In addition to the bike mirror I looked for my Blackburn one but it had disappeared somewhere in the depths of the garage. I bought a "Take-a-Look" mirror which was designed to clip on to glasses. It took a little while to get used to these but in combination with the mirror attached to the bike it works well, and I have got used to just clipping it on when I go out on the 'bent. It needs glasses with a fairly flat side arm to stay in place -if you have specs with round wire it will tend to rotate. Cycling type sunglasses would be fine. It will also clip to a helmet.
It is susceptible to slight bumps or knocks, but is easy to re align. Like other types of bike mirrors, helmet/spectacle mirrors come in many varieties.

Despite concerns from other posters about attaching things to helmets you can buy them purpose made with sticky pads or clips, made in wire or plastic. Like other types of bike mirrors some are better than others. Some designed for the US market might be left side fitting only. The one which I am using can be used on either side, is made of wire and has a plastic lens. If you wear a helmet on all your rides, probably one with an adhesive pad for fixing to your helmet would be better. I read all the reviews that I could before buying mine, and it does the job that I want it to.

As I said at the beginning, this type of mirror is a bit Marmite. It works for me as it is particularly suited for my needs while riding a recumbent. It might suit someone who, for example likes their bike to be stripped down, without anything superfluous attached to it. It's not a substitute for looking around and being aware of your surroundings, but is an aid to doing it.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Despite concerns from other posters about attaching things to helmets you can buy them purpose made with sticky pads or clips, made in wire or plastic.

Yep, the Blackburn I used would never in a month of Sundays survived the slightest collision or damaged the helmet. It weighs just 9gr and the plastic ball & socket joints just snap apart too easily for that to happen. It isn't an injury risk even worth considering.

Drago

Legendary Member
Got to disagree with you there. After 40 years of riding a motorbike, I am used to using a mirror to see what is behind, and then using the 'life-saver' shoulder check before executing a manoeuvre. I can't see how a bicycle is any different, except that the speeds are lower. I have mirrors on two of my bikes and use them constantly. On the bikes without mirrors, I am probably less aware of what is behind me. Even a quick duck of the head takes time and takes your attention off the road ahead. With a mirror, it's a tiny movement of the eyeball and I probably scan behind every few seconds. I don't think there is any way you could say that with mirrors I am not looking properly.

I do agree that anything attached to your helmet will be a hazard in a crash - either punching through the flimsy plastic or catching on something and giving your head a sharp twist, neither of which your brain really likes. Anything attached to a motorcycle helmet by the manufacturer (such as raised vents) are designed to be lightweight and come away with the slightest knock.

Same here, and it's saved my bacon in the car more than once.
Ive been a mptorcyclist for a similar length of time, and would in turn disagree.

This has been researched many times. Mirrors can give the benefit of improved field of view for those with the diacipline to use them correctly.

Pschology being what it is, very few people will use them correctly. People very quickly adapt to doing the minimum they can get away within every field of endeavour, unless they are drilled to do otherwise - for motorcyclists and car drivers, a glance in the mirror quickly becomes a substitute for proper observstion for virtually every single road user. The class 1 (now called advanced) training in the dibble made me very aware how I, who had considered myself a competent road user, also did this.

Unless they have been trained and use the necessary drills to prevent it, almost every single road user places over reliance on mirrors at the expense of correct observation. Mirrors actually cause us to look less.

You may think you don't, but unless you've had the training to break the habit I can pretty much guarantee that you do the same. Simply not believeing me doesn't make it otherwise I'm afraid.

Top Bottom