Helmet or no helmet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
I take it that this is your first helmet debate? :whistle:

Go on, answer the question!
wink.gif

Mark_Robson

Besides I wouldn't place a great faith in H&S as an argument for logic- the HSE has stated that cycle helmets are NOT classified as PPE!
What you mean is that cycle helmets are not covered by the PPE regs. Neither are condoms but they are still PPE :whistle:

jimboalee

[QUOTE 1075435"]
I'm off down the LBS today for to be fitted for a full faced helmet - can't be to careful.
[/quote]

joust.jpg

See you down there....:thumbsup:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
i hate helmets too. but i have found one which actually fits comfortable. its a bern skater style which meet the higher american standards. it has what's called 'cool
flow' and it actually works better than the usual vented types.

i have read the usa is passing legislation to ban the usual style in favour of the skater style ones. the reasons are the rotational injuries with the tear drop shapes snagging and / or pulling the lids off. the usa standards also don't allow the straps to be anchored outside of the helmet, again due to snagging.

the skater style ones look snazzy and have press stud attachments, eg, a summer peak with extra sweat band and a full furry lining for winter. oh they also have press stud earpieces for mp3 players (but that will cause the old music or not debate).

I looked at these when I was going to buy a helmet, and they looked good, as did snow boarding ones. I then ended up looking at, of all things, Equestrian helmets, as they make them in a LOT of different designs and some look pretty decent (no, not the velvety things the size of Luxembourg).

In the end however, I got a Rudy Project helmet which I use on the felt, I have a Giro Indicator which I'm keeping as a spare, and for my normal hack bike, I have my old METZ helmet from about 10 years ago.

Wearing them is part of the course, force of habit, and I wouldn't dream of not going out with the helmet assigned to the relevant bike.

It's a bit like wearing a seatbelt, I will always wear one regardless.

philepo

Veteran
It's a bit like wearing a seatbelt, I will always wear one regardless.

I'm happy for people to do what they please, but the facts are that wearing of seat belts and cycle helmets has not decreased the number of fatalities on the roads. the argument that "if I smack my head on concrete I will be better off wearing a helmet" only makes sense for that single hypothetical accident. Statistics show seat belts and helmets have not reduced fatalities.

It's a case of perception of risk. If you feel safe and wrapped up, in a car, or bike, then you will take more risks, and overall that means we are no more better off than the non belt/helmet wearing persons. Of course, this only works for the population, not an individual... my kid has to wear a helmet, or else! Stats or no stats!

But personally, I don't want the gov telling me what to do regarding belts, helmets, cigarettes, booze or whatever else that I do on a personal choice basis.

DavieB

MIA
... or the Thudguard?

Thudguard%20full%20side.jpg

I always like this because it is exactly the same as cycle helmets.

Emotive blackmail - Tick

Endorsement by ill informed medics - Tick

Endorsement by Sfatey experts - Tick

Figures to show that thousands die each year and can be saved - Tick

Anecdotal evidence - Tick

Now given an equal weight of evidence - how can anyone be irresponsible enough not to campaign for the use of these life saving helmets?

Post made me think of my 10 month old intentionally banging his head off the wall for attention. He fell of a chair at his aunts today too, cried for 10 seconds and was playing again, im certainly not getting him a fooking helmet!

I wear a helmet but its for the sole reason to save family moaning at me to wear on, oh and someone else bought it.

Peter10

Statistics show seat belts and helmets have not reduced fatalities.

Where are these statistics that say seatbelts do not reduce fatalities? That is totally wrong. Wearing a seatbelt reduces the chances of injury by 50% and the 2009 road survey showed that it could be up to a 70% reduction compared to not wearing a seatbelt. Seatbelts also prevent passengers slamming into eachother inside a car, whether it be slow impact or a full roll over. If you are travelling at 70mph and crash, your body will continue travelling at that speed without a seatbelt, straight into the steering wheel or windscreen. I'm sorry, but your statistics are totally false.

Wearing a helmet is a free choice, wearing a seatbelt is law, with a fine of £60 if caught (raised from £30 recently).

dondare

Über Member
Post made me think of my 10 month old intentionally banging his head off the wall for attention. He fell of a chair at his aunts today too, cried for 10 seconds and was playing again, im certainly not getting him a fooking helmet!

I wear a helmet but its for the sole reason to save family moaning at me to wear on, oh and someone else bought it.

I remember watching children learning to walk and catching their heads against every corner and edge the furniture had to offer and thinking that if there was any way to avoid that they'd grow up to be geniuses.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Well this thread has come along way since my original post way back when.

I'm now a fully signed up member of the skid lid wearing brigade, I tried it after Mr Cracknell has his unfortunate mishap and have perservered ever since. I actually forget I've got it on when I have my ipod blaring at full volume :smile:

Some benefits - wicks sweat away from eyes and did keep my head relatively dry in the rain. Obviously I hope I dont get to test it on the LEJOG trip - look forward to attacking the decents with real vigour!!

snorri

Legendary Member
Well this thread has come along way since my original post way back when.

I'm now a fully signed up member of the skid lid wearing brigade, I tried it after Mr Cracknell has his unfortunate mishap and have perservered ever since. I actually forget I've got it on when I have my ipod blaring at full volume :smile:

Some benefits - wicks sweat away from eyes and did keep my head relatively dry in the rain. Obviously I hope I dont get to test it on the LEJOG trip - look forward to attcking the decents with real vigour!!

Well, that is fine, we all have a free choice, but please don't join those who condemn us non-wearers whose cycle risk assessment prevents us from listening to Ipods while cycling, and descending with real vigour, and who have never been troubled with sweat in the eyes. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom