Helmet or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ronmac

I'm fairly new to cycling and can't decide wether to wear a helmet or not. It's not that I don't like wearing it, just that I like the feel of the fresh air about my head.
I definitely feel safer on the road when I wear it but is this a false sense of security as I'll probably get wiped out anyway if a fast moving vehicle hits me.
Conversely I feel I don't need it on cycle paths and yet I'm more likely to come off and bang my head when cycling on one of these.
I'd be interested to hear others opinions on all of this. I'm sure they'll be very varied but may help me decide.
Cheers. Ron.

bonj2

could be the difference between life and death, that's why i wear it.
can still feel the air about your head with vents. often the more expensive the helmet the more vents, so get a good flashy one..

Danny

Legendary Member
You may get more opinions than you bargained for on this one ;)

The question of whether or not to wear a helmet can is quite controversial in some quarters.

My personal view - based on the evidence I have read - is that wearing a helmet will protect you in some circumstances if you crash. Therefore I always wear one.

However you will find that there are a small number of cyclists who are vehemently opposed to helmets - partly because they think they are of no use, and partly because they are convinced that there is a big conspiracy out there to make helmet wearing compulsory.

upandover

Guru
It's a fairly uncontroversial topic really.

I think everyone pretty much agrees that you should absolutely always, almost certainly, maybe sometimes, perhaps when it snows, definitely never, wear a helmet.

upandover

Guru
ps - I wear one. Everything else aside it's a good place to put more lights / reflective stuff. Nothing like two torches in the face to get people to notice you as they approach a roundabout.

MajorMantra

upandover said:
ps - I wear one. Everything else aside it's a good place to put more lights / reflective stuff. Nothing like two torches in the face to get people to notice you as they approach a roundabout.

+1.

Also, when you arrive somewhere dripping sweat, breathing hard and smelling a bit ripe, people immediately know you're a cyclist and not a deranged hobo.

Matthew

You brain is rather important to you. It is only wrapped in a thin shell of bone rather like an egg shell. You put eggs in a box to bring them home.

People fall off bikes and hit their head. It just is a habit to get into to put a lid on. Yes it takes something a way, but so does a seat belt.

Noodley

I have sometimes fallen off. I do not wear a helmet. Hey, wear one if you want.

Lasting sign of injuries since 1977 - scar on chin (1977) and scar on leg (2008)

IJCymru

I never go out without my helmet. I had a bad crash on a bike without a helmet a few years ago and I can tell you it really hurts. Luckily I just have scars but its very easy to do some serious damage without a helmet as there is nothing to take the initial impact.

Also you can get helmets with loads of vents in if you want to feel that fresh hair so you can have the best of both worlds.

aqaleigh

ronmac said:
I'm fairly new to cycling and can't decide wether to wear a helmet or not. It's not that I don't like wearing it, just that I like the feel of the fresh air about my head.
I definitely feel safer on the road when I wear it but is this a false sense of security as I'll probably get wiped out anyway if a fast moving vehicle hits me.
Conversely I feel I don't need it on cycle paths and yet I'm more likely to come off and bang my head when cycling on one of these.
I'd be interested to hear others opinions on all of this. I'm sure they'll be very varied but may help me decide.
Cheers. Ron.

ALWAYS - ALWAYS wear a helmet

I have ridden bikes on and off for 35 years and last summer was the first time I had a big off - it happened in a split second and my head took nearly all the impact as I slid for 50 yards across the concrete
My helmet was destroyed as were my arm, leg, shoulder and side but if I was not wearing the helmet I am convinced I would have spent many weeks in hospital or maybe not have survived at all
If you value your life it has to be worth wearing one - there are lots of positives and very little negatives

cheers
leigh

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
This is the last big discussion on here (26 pages) on the subject

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19439&highlight=helmet

Many people will claim a helmet has saved their life, many will tell you that they are a waste of time and can infact cause injury. However the one important fact in all this is that it is your choice as to whether you wear one or not.

I do not. My children have helmets, bought by their grandparents, and I let them decide whether they want to wear it or not. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, it's up to them.

Top Bottom