Helmet project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willsham

Hello I am a design student, currently doing a project on cycal helmets. In it I am hoping to design a cycle helmet that is more desirable and help get more people wearing cycle helmets.

I am posting hear to ask for your opionions on cycal helmets. The good and the bad, Why you wear them or why you don't, What features do you like to see etc . And if you have a second if you could fill out this short questionnaire linked below. Doing this will be a great help in getting a good design.

http://willsham.wufoo.com/forms/cycle-helmet-questionnaire/

Thanks

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Who's got that can of worms picture? And the popcorn...
Willsham... you might find that your seeming assumption that all cyclists will be in favour of helmets might take a knock. Good luck with your project though.

(I've done the questionnaire, btw)

frank9755

Cyclist
Who's got that can of worms picture? And the popcorn...
Willsham... you might find that your seeming assumption that all cyclists will be in favour of helmets might take a knock. Good luck with your project though.

...and your implicit assumption that everyone believes it is safer to wear a helmet might get shaken too!

corshamjim

Good luck with your project. I'm always on the lookout for good looking helmets - too many of them IMO look just the same as all the rest.

the snail

Guru
Hi willsham, I filled in your questionnaire. I suggest you search this forum, you'll find no shortages of opinion on the subject. You could think about designing a helmet for pedestrians though, I think there's definitely a gap in the market there - or maybe a 'drinker's helmet'?

Zoiders

I am not wishing to seem arsey now but why have design colleges suddenly decided that the world of cycling needs re-invention? helmets, saddles, bike storage etc etc are all things that keep getting linked to by students doing surveys.

I want to have a word with some of these course lecturers as they obviously don't know a great deal about cycling or the industry, almost every aspect has already been designed to death - constant development and endless CAD cycles have gone into this stuff already.

The majority of naff products that fall by the way side come from "students of design" as they are always impractical in some way or seem to favour being quirky over actualy working well.

Very little is new in cycling - stuff gets tweaked or hacked (and these are the guys who do really well) but no-one makes anything new, they just help the evolution of what already exists.

Makins

Helmets are already very good, just a little too expensive for an essential bit of kit. I can't understand why they would need further improvement, but if you have to then maybe a better system for mounting camera's or lights to the helmet?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Helmets are already very good, just a little too expensive for an essential bit of kit. I can't understand why they would need further improvement, but if you have to then maybe a better system for mounting camera's or lights to the helmet?

no they are not...

I want to have a word with some of these course lecturers as they obviously don't know a great deal about cycling or the industry, almost every aspect has already been designed to death - constant development and endless CAD cycles have gone into this stuff already.

There is a lot of dross but there have also been some good ideas come out. The Dahon seat post pump and a few cycle security ideas. But that ratio of dross to good is probably no worse than for other design topics.

Now if this student could just come up with an invisible metamaterial cycle helmet so you can tell all the do-gooders (or police if you live in Australia or New Zealand) that you are wearing a helmet, honest, it's just they can't see it ;-)

Clandy

munch.gif

Top Bottom