Helmet Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
First up, please no arguments on the pro's and con's of helmet wearing 'cos i'm NOT interested. :biggrin:

What I am interested in however is a recommendation of a fairly cheap helmet. My specifications are as follows;
Fairly small & lightweight
Breathable (so lots or air vents?)
Must be able to fit my helmet mounted EL-450 light on it.

I don't want to spend more than £30-£40 on one.

I currenly have a cheapo challenge helmet that I got from Argos when I first started cycling and I've busted the strap on it already, and it is a tad on the bulky side.

TIA

I like Bell helmets I have a Bell Venture and an EL 410 on top. I like their fit and their adjustably.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I like the Spesh ones myself - my brother in law has an Airforce, and it looks the business - unsure about what you can mount on it though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got a MET one, but you really need to try them on and see which one fits... heads come in different shapes and sizes - just make sure you can adjust it easily (unfortunately my head seems to change shape on a daily basis - combination of bad hair days and my buff I think).

Noodley

I also like Bell. They're the only ones that fit my huge head comfortably.

You really need to go into a ship and try some on. Don't buy online before trying. They're all kinds of shapes and sizes.

That's a bit "exclusive" :sad:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
I have been thinking about a Bell actually. The Venture or Alchera have caught my eye. I know they sell them in Halfrauds so might be worth my while taking a look.
John - by Spesh do you mean Specialized?

Danny

Legendary Member
Plax said:
First up, please no arguments on the pro's and con's of helmet wearing 'cos i'm NOT interested. :sad:

That's no fun :biggrin: I remember one helmet thread on the C+ forum that went on for at least 20 pages.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Plax said:
John - by Spesh do you mean Specialized?

Sorry, yes ;) I have a Chamonix (one of their cheaper ones). I think the Airforce is around the £30-£40 mark (has larger vents than the budget priced Chamonix). I like the fit of the Specialzed (but fit, as Mr Paul says, is a very personal thing, and not every manufacturer suits every head) and the visor they supply is pretty good at keeping the rain out of my eyes.

Will1985 said:
Giro Monza? I found out they do one in Bianchi colours too last night....

Scarily, now I have my new bike, I do find myself slightly annoyed that my old Specialized Chamonix doesn't match it :tongue:

ChrisKH

Guru
I saw a good range in Halfrauds recently and was tempted by the Chris Boardman one although it was a bit on the pricey side. The Bell Slant fitted best.

Tynan

Veteran
my head is huge, one of the Giro models fits fine, it's a big shell and the fitting come from the strap thing at the back

domtyler

Über Member
I can think of at least one solution that is extremely cheap and provides good levels of ventilation. ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
domtyler said:
I can think of at least one solution that is extremely cheap and provides good levels of ventilation. ;)

I expect your method wouldn't keep the hair out of my face which has definately been a side benifit I wasn't expecting from a helmet:smile:.

domtyler

Über Member
summerdays said:
I expect your method wouldn't keep the hair out of my face which has definately been a side benifit I wasn't expecting from a helmet:smile:.

I could always cycle alongside you and hold it up for you. ;)

Top Bottom