1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmet Recommendations

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Plax, 30 Jan 2008.

1. Plax

Plax Veteran

First up, please no arguments on the pro's and con's of helmet wearing 'cos i'm NOT interested. :biggrin:

What I am interested in however is a recommendation of a fairly cheap helmet. My specifications are as follows;
    Fairly small & lightweight
    Breathable (so lots or air vents?)
    Must be able to fit my helmet mounted EL-450 light on it.

I don't want to spend more than £30-£40 on one.

I currenly have a cheapo challenge helmet that I got from Argos when I first started cycling and I've busted the strap on it already, and it is a tad on the bulky side.

TIA

2. I like Bell helmets I have a Bell Venture and an EL 410 on top. I like their fit and their adjustably.

3. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

I like the Spesh ones myself - my brother in law has an Airforce, and it looks the business - unsure about what you can mount on it though.

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I also like Bell. They're the only ones that fit my huge head comfortably.

You really need to go into a ship and try some on. Don't buy online before trying. They're all kinds of shapes and sizes.

5. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

I've got a MET one, but you really need to try them on and see which one fits... heads come in different shapes and sizes - just make sure you can adjust it easily (unfortunately my head seems to change shape on a daily basis - combination of bad hair days and my buff I think).

6. Will1985

Will1985 Über Member

Giro Monza? I found out they do one in Bianchi colours too last night....I would, but I don't need another helmet at the moment.

7. Noodley

Noodley Guest

That's a bit "exclusive" :sad:

8. OP
    OP
    Plax

Plax Veteran

I have been thinking about a Bell actually. The Venture or Alchera have caught my eye. I know they sell them in Halfrauds so might be worth my while taking a look.
    John - by Spesh do you mean Specialized?

9. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

That's no fun :biggrin: I remember one helmet thread on the C+ forum that went on for at least 20 pages.

10. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Sorry, yes ;) I have a Chamonix (one of their cheaper ones). I think the Airforce is around the £30-£40 mark (has larger vents than the budget priced Chamonix). I like the fit of the Specialzed (but fit, as Mr Paul says, is a very personal thing, and not every manufacturer suits every head) and the visor they supply is pretty good at keeping the rain out of my eyes.

Scarily, now I have my new bike, I do find myself slightly annoyed that my old Specialized Chamonix doesn't match it :tongue:

11. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

I saw a good range in Halfrauds recently and was tempted by the Chris Boardman one although it was a bit on the pricey side. The Bell Slant fitted best.

12. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

my head is huge, one of the Giro models fits fine, it's a big shell and the fitting come from the strap thing at the back

13. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I can think of at least one solution that is extremely cheap and provides good levels of ventilation. ;)

14. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

I expect your method wouldn't keep the hair out of my face which has definately been a side benifit I wasn't expecting from a helmet:smile:.

15. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I could always cycle alongside you and hold it up for you. ;)