Helmet smells worse than me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Soap and water is all I use to wash my cycling gloves, you can use hand soap, shower gel or washing up liquid. Just rinse the gloves in warm water, add soap to the gloves and rinse some more until the water looks rank. Finally rinse again in cool clean water then dry.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Just wear it in the shower ..some nice shower lynx and you'll be fine ...failing having time to clean it ..stick it in the freezer before a ride :thumbsup:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Soap and water is all I use to wash my cycling gloves, you can use hand soap, shower gel or washing up liquid. Just rinse the gloves in warm water, add soap to the gloves and rinse some more until the water looks rank. Finally rinse again in cool clean water then dry.
^^^ This.

I find it's easiest to wear my mitts whilst hand washing them, then remove and turn inside out for the final rinse.

Sara_H

Guru
Bicarb of soda is marvellous for whiffy stuff. I used to have terrible trouble with my work shoes, now I sprinkle a bit of bicarb in them at the end of the day - works like magic.

Ganymede

Veteran
There is a brilliant spray called "Fresh Again" which we use in the theatre for stinky costumes. It's good for jackets and stuff which you can't wash every night. Unfortunately it's fabulously expensive, about £60 a pop, it comes from America via t'interweb, but lasts forever as it's a big spray and you don't use much. I have some left from my last tour and it's wonderful stuff, Mr G pinches it for his ski helmet, he being Mr Sweaty of Sweatytown, U.Sweat.A. We laydeez who end up wearing sleeveless dresses under jackets for weddings and funerals find it jolly useful.

However, the bicarb option probably works and is a lot cheaper, esp as you can remove the pads, which you often can't with a ski helmet.

My Specialized gel mitts whiff despite washing - any suggestions on resurrecting those from their corpse-like state would be appreciated too :biggrin:

Try soaking in Biotex? Or just biological washing powder maybe. There'll be a whole load of joyful bacteria in them whose activities must be curtailed!

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't usually use bio powder, but I do have some Ariel lurking at the back of the cupboard. May give that a go and then rewash in non bio to avoid skin issues

when i posted about purple harrys helmet cleaner , i was expecting @Fnaar to make an appearance

Top Bottom