Helmet usage by adults questionaire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
This has popped up on my Twitter and Facebook so I decided that we needed to get the opinion of cyclists in the responses. It is by the University of Bristol.

The purpose of this research project is to understand the reasons why adults do or do not wear cycle helmets whilst riding a bike.

This is a research project based at the University of Bristol.
We would like to invite you to participate. Your participation is voluntary and you can choose not to participate. If you decide to participate in this study you can withdraw at any time.

The study involves filling in the online survey which will take approximately 5 minutes. Your responses will be confidential and we do not collect any identifiable data.

All answers are secured in a password protected electronic format and the results of this study will be used for scholarly purposes only.

If you have any questions about this study, please contact Rebecca Telfer at rt0033@my.bristol.ac.uk.
By clicking "Next" I consent to participate in this study and confirm I am over 18 years of age . I am aware all the data collected is confidential and I can withdraw at any time.

Survey on Helmet use by Adults

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This has popped up on my Twitter and Facebook so I decided that we needed to get the opinion of cyclists in the responses. It is by the University of Bristol.

Survey on Helmet use by Adults
Thanks for the link, the more cyclists that participate the better.
Whether Pro or Anti helmet use, uninformed opinions of non-cyclists could sway the results especially the opinions of those who bought a BSO from Halfrauds then rode it twice (several years ago)

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Luckily there are free text boxes that allow you to add to the potential answers. I hope they actually publish the research at some point. There isn't enough information there to know which department and why. Though I did put my email address in the end section so if I get a follow up email at some point in the future I will post the information here.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Done. I wear a helmet because .... I feel that should I be involved in an incident with injuries, such as a broken leg or spinal injuries, I would be penalised by Judges and insurance companies alike for contributing somehow to my injuries, and any claims due could be reduced/refused as part of the victim blaming culture cyclists seem increasingly subjected to.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Done, but question No 9:
Please rank to what extent the following factors influence whether or not you wear a helmet.
Is biased towards those who wear a helmet, if you don't wear one the options listed are pointless.
I did think that there was a bias toward helmets .... which may have influenced my selections slightly:whistle:

Done. I wear a helmet because .... I feel that should I be involved in an incident with injuries, such as a broken leg or spinal injuries, I would be penalised by Judges and insurance companies alike for contributing somehow to my injuries, and any claims due could be reduced/refused as part of the victim blaming culture cyclists seem increasingly subjected to.
I have no wish to derail this thread, but briefly, I understand your thinking but it is unconscionable that the law takes this stance. By admitting your reasons I feel it is adding to a thin end of a dangerous wedge that is getting thicker. The attitude being adopted by insurance companies and the law must be fought, to do that we have to defend our rights and our freedom, the alternatives are unthinkable, compulsory helmet wearing, bikes not allowed on roads, cyclists taxed, etc etc. It will happen, there are still too many people in the UK who think cycling is an odd thing to do and would be happy to see us removed from the roads.

Top Bottom