Helmet usage by adults questionaire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
Done

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
I have no wish to derail this thread, but briefly, I understand your thinking but it is unconscionable that the law takes this stance. By admitting your reasons I feel it is adding to a thin end of a dangerous wedge that is getting thicker. The attitude being adopted by insurance companies and the law must be fought, to do that we have to defend our rights and our freedom, the alternatives are unthinkable, compulsory helmet wearing, bikes not allowed on roads, cyclists taxed, etc etc. It will happen, there are still too many people in the UK who think cycling is an odd thing to do and would be happy to see us removed from the roads.

I agree with yo in principal! Unfortunately, like it or not, insurance companies I feel wield great influences on rulings, mindset and even on occasion the law. This is my opinion and the fear of such decisions in the courts etc. are the main reason I wear a helmet. My stance though would be very different did I not have dependants.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I agree with yo in principal! Unfortunately, like it or not, insurance companies I feel wield great influences on rulings, mindset and even on occasion the law. This is my opinion and the fear of such decisions in the courts etc. are the main reason I wear a helmet. My stance though would be very different did I not have dependants.
Do you not worry that they'll use your wearing a helmet in one of the situations where it arguably makes injuries worse against you? Do you not worry that you're setting a bad example for your dependants, acting in fear of the insurance companies? :evil:

Done.

I am assuming you meant "principle", but anyway I liken them to morals, they have to be defended.

Sara_H

Guru
I have no wish to derail this thread, but briefly, I understand your thinking but it is unconscionable that the law takes this stance. By admitting your reasons I feel it is adding to a thin end of a dangerous wedge that is getting thicker. The attitude being adopted by insurance companies and the law must be fought, to do that we have to defend our rights and our freedom, the alternatives are unthinkable, compulsory helmet wearing, bikes not allowed on roads, cyclists taxed, etc etc. It will happen, there are still too many people in the UK who think cycling is an odd thing to do and would be happy to see us removed from the roads.
It was mentioned in the medical report for my injuries caused by deliberate hit and run that I wasn't wearing a helmet or any protective clothing.
I didn't sustain head injuries, or hand injuries and other than gloves I'm not sure what protective clothing they could have been referring to.

Top Bottom