Helmet usage by adults questionaire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was mentioned in the medical report for my injuries caused by deliberate hit and run that I wasn't wearing a helmet or any protective clothing.
I didn't sustain head injuries, or hand injuries and other than gloves I'm not sure what protective clothing they could have been referring to.
Inferring what exactly? That you are an irresponsible cyclist because you did not have a helmet on. This all stinks of compulsion by the back door. We are seriously considering a move to the Netherlands where they don't put fences around canals to stop people falling in.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
No eye injuries either.
Hi Viz? Protection doesn't mean armour. And as @User9609 has said it may not be so much that what you were wearing contributed to your condition, as that they were keeping a log of what people were wearing. Although it does sound more to me like a statement of fact should the insurers be interested. Maybe I'm just paranoid for conspiracy theories.

gavintc

Guru
Done. I wear a helmet because .... I feel that should I be involved in an incident with injuries, such as a broken leg or spinal injuries, I would be penalised by Judges and insurance companies alike for contributing somehow to my injuries, and any claims due could be reduced/refused as part of the victim blaming culture cyclists seem increasingly subjected to.
I completely agree. This is probably the most important reason for me wearing a helmet.

I came off earlier this year, and police were called. they had two official questions: was I wearing a helmet; and was I riding a "boris bike"**

Pretty sure they aren't planning to make Boris Bikes mandatory.

**I don't think they actually said "boris bike", but I was in a fugue of extreme pain, so I am not sure

R_nger

Guru
Hi Viz? Protection doesn't mean armour. And as @User9609 has said it may not be so much that what you were wearing contributed to your condition, as that they were keeping a log of what people were wearing. Although it does sound more to me like a statement of fact should the insurers be interested. Maybe I'm just paranoid for conspiracy theories.
Does every medical report following an accident record such information - or is it just cyclists who are documented in this way ?

Ciar

Veteran
Done as for my opinion i wear one but that's personal choice, i use it for commuting and a seperate lid for MTB, having whacked my head way too many times in low lying branches and the likes i know how painful that is with a lid on!

Top Bottom