Helmet Watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My London commute is 10 miles each way mostly through quieter back routes, London Fields, Victoria Park Olympic park. Lovely route.

I've noticed in the last year or so the number of helmet-wearers has dropped. It used to be easily 90%, now I'd say it's more like 60%.

I don't ride the superhighway routes so not sure what they're like but there's a definite shift on my routes. I wonder if it's new cyclists that have joined in or if all the cycling infrastructure is making a less aggressive and more European style commute.

My London commute is 10 miles each way mostly through quieter back routes, London Fields, Victoria Park Olympic park. Lovely route.

I've noticed in the last year or so the number of helmet-wearers has dropped. It used to be easily 90%, now I'd say it's more like 60%.

I don't ride the superhighway routes so not sure what they're like but there's a definite shift on my routes. I wonder if it's new cyclists that have joined in or if all the cycling infrastructure is making a less aggressive and more European style commute.
A bit of both I'd say. It's nice to finally have some decent ( ish ) infrastructure, which allows people to feel safe enough to not have to wear a lid all the time.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

It is a taboo subject on this forum @Catweasel. There's a special thread for it, to which this thread will be consigned very soon :smile:.
The OP was about the number of helmets you see people wearing. This won't get moved if people kindly keep on topic.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

My commute is about 4 miles of roadside cycle tracks then a last mile away from roads almost until to a 20mph zone, or I can replace a short section with small 30mph streets through an Edwardianish housing estate and back on cycle tracks through a park. They've always been rarer than average here, but last year included the first time in I don't remember how long that I saw 0% cycle helmets (and about the usual number of people cycling).

I don't think it's infrastructure here directly. The only new infrastructure here has been minor, such as parking, a couple of Toucan/Puffin crossings and signposting a few streets as contraflow cycling and/or "access only" (which minicabs continue to abuse), although it's always been fairly good if you know where to look. If anything, it's actually more difficult than usual to cycle here at the moment, with a half-mile of NCR1 diverted onto housing estate roads in the usual slapdash manner.

There might be a slight effect from London's infrastructure, with King's Cross being only 110 minutes away (so people do commute) and being portrayed in the media. I think the biggest difference has probably been an upsurge in city bikes, with the Pendleton Somerby, Pashley and Bobbin making them fashionable again and some imitators also in local shops - not quite sure what the young gentlemen are riding as my Dutchie remains unusual and they can't all be Pashleys. Maybe I should pay more attention in the cycle parks to the non-vintage stuff.

h1udd

The trend, as more people cycle will move from the hobbiests to the urban chick

If you look at places like Amsterdam, the majority of cyclists wear work clothes, no helmet and are happy to not know their power output or strava times .... Cycling here is still in the hands of the cycle-snobs as it were, so a lot of unnecessary Lycra, helmets, aero socks, shaved legs, gps mega power cadence heart monitors

Top Bottom