helmet wearing hypocrisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 3037638, member: 1314"]His wife said that he forgot to wear his helmet as his accident has given him short-term memory loss. Yes, I read the Daily Mail article.[/QUOTE]

... and his excuse this time ?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Centreparcs has a no car policy on site, and the chances of being hit by a lorry are nil.
If you see him riding on the open roads then i may take issue, but not on closed family cycle tracks.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Centreparcs has a no car policy on site, and the chances of being hit by a lorry are nil.
If you see him riding on the open roads then i may take issue, but not on closed family cycle tracks.
But surely there is an increased risk of the type of accident that helmets are designed/tested for to occur there, the low speed, impact?

So in other words he has exercised a choice whether or not to wear a helmet?
Lets look at their own words
I can already hear the naysayers elbowing their way to the front. The usual arguments against mandatory cycling helmets include: “I should be allowed to do what I want”; “It messes up my hair”; and “Wah! Wah! It’s not fair.” I promise you, if personal liberty matters to you, not being able to take yourself to the lavatory on waking will come as a real shock.

They don't believe cyclists should have the choice yet when it comes to their own "safety" the same rules do not apply
Perhaps we should enquire whether he was able to take himself to the lavatory this evening?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 3038305, member: 45"]I wouldn't have thought so. Less risk of an impact with a car, but that doesn't increase the risk of other types of collision.[/QUOTE]
Lots of very inexperienced cyclists riding unfamiliar and badly maintained bikes quite slowly on rough tracks - perfect for 12mph collisions.

[QUOTE 3038305, member: 45"]I wouldn't have thought so. Less risk of an impact with a car, but that doesn't increase the risk of other types of collision.[/QUOTE]

But not unheard of...

After one accident in Wiltshire :

Emergency Care Assistant Justin Whatley, one of the GWAS crew on scene, is also a keen cyclist. He said: “Wearing a helmet when cycling is a sensible precaution at any time – but if you are planning to go off-road, as many of the cycle routes at Center Parcs are through woodland, then we would strongly advise that a cycle helmet can save you from potentially serious injury.”

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Do they exist?
Is this a philosophical question?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
But are they actually tested for collisions with cars? I thought the normal tests were more for a vertical drop hitting a flat surface and at low speed, the sort of speeds you don't get with typical car collisions.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
But are they actually tested for collisions with cars? I thought the normal tests were more for a vertical drop hitting a flat surface and at low speed, the sort of speeds you don't get with typical car collisions.

EN 1078, is a test for Helmets for pedal cyclists and for users of skateboards and roller skates.
The standard's key features are:
  • Test anvils: Flat and kerbstone
  • Drop apparatus: Guided free fall
  • Impact velocity, energy or drop height flat anvil: 5.42–5.52 m/s
  • Impact energy criteria: < 250g
  • Roll-off test: Yes
  • Retention system strength: Force applied dynamically. Helmet supported on headform.

The Snell B-95 regulation is far more extensive and many helmets for sale in the UK today are unable to pass it. All specialized helmets are Snell certified, you can read more about the Snell standard by reading the document below.
http://www.smf.org/standards/pdf/b95rev.pdf

albion

Guru
As the Daily Mail says it could be a matter of minutes before he remembers to put the helmet back on.

Let him enjoy his holiday, he ain't at work even if that work is selling helmets.

EN 1078, is a test for Helmets for pedal cyclists and for users of skateboards and roller skates.
The standard's key features are:

• Test anvils: Flat and kerbstone
  • Drop apparatus: Guided free fall
  • Impact velocity, energy or drop height flat anvil: 5.42–5.52 m/s
  • Impact energy criteria: < 250g
  • Roll-off test: Yes
  • Retention system strength: Force applied dynamically. Helmet supported on headform.

The Snell B-95 regulation is far more extensive and many helmets for sale in the UK today are unable to pass it. All specialized helmets are Snell certified, you can read more about the Snell standard by reading the document below.
http://www.smf.org/standards/pdf/b95rev.pdf

Don't forget though that EN1078 is laughable, and hardly worth the paper it is written on.

You are not allowed to use an EN1078 helmet in teh US for sporting events, and the Wiggle Sprotoves "organiser" UK Cycling Events also clearly states that helmets must pass "the latest Snell or ANSI standards" so in theory they too will not accept a helmet with EN19078 only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom