Helmet weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Devonhills

Regular
I’d be interested in peoples thoughts on helmet weight and comfort. Have you noticed the benefit of a really lightweight helmet or have you felt no difference.
What would you class as a lightweight helmet anyway?
I’m currently looking at getting a Lazer Strada Kineticore. 290gm with a 5 star Virginia Tech rating.
I could get the Lazer Tonic Kineticore which is 240gm but with a 4 star safety rating. Bit cheaper as well. Would both be another 20gm if I added the led light.
Not particularly set on those particular helmets but they seem decent and fitted ok when I tried them on.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The fitting is the most important thing when choosing a helmet I would say.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fitting very important. You won't notice 20g or so, you might if the helmet is 100g heavier, but at the end of the day, it needs to fit comfortably. Oh, and don't get tied up with '4 star safety ratings' - it's all a bit of a muchness - a lid will protect your head from cuts and grazes in a spill, but don't expect too much more. Cheap Planet X lids are perfectly fine at £15 each. I have a very expensive Bell Helmet, and apart from some flashy bit's of Carbon fibre, it's no different from my PX lids - I'm less bothered if they get bashed up and chucked in the bin.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As people say above it's all about fit and comfort. The best one I ever had turned out to be a women's model (cue Captain Rum - you have a woman's helmet) The only female specific part of the design was a thingy for if you had a pony tail. No, I'm not a pony tail-wearing hipster. If you're trying one on in a bike shop, sit on a bike and get into a riding position with it to check visibility too.

And just a quick word to @Devonhills as a new CC member ( :welcome: by the way), helmets can be a tricky subject on here because some people have opinions about helmets, and some other people also have other opinions that are quite different so discussions can degenerate. That's why we have a special forum for arguing about helmets. But general questions about buying and fit are fine. Just steer clear of efficacy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That does sway me towards the cheaper option a bit. Never difficult in my case. 😁

So long as it fits and doesn't look stupid, go cheap. Bot all helmets fit everyone's heads so best check. The Planet X ones do fit my head and their measuring guide is correct. So good, I've got 4 of their lids at those prices.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's a universal law of cycling (and many other things too).

Once you've bought your expensive lightweight helmet, time to treat yourself to a slap up meal.

Et voilà
1716544600463.png

Top Bottom