Helmets, how much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nightoff

As others have said, fit is probably the most important. If it isn't comfortable you wont wear it.

I would also consider fixing points for lights. I have mounted a forward and rear light onto my mine in the belief that it makes me more visible to other road users.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
and, if a racing snake, don't wear an off-road helmet on your road (race) bike or vice versa, or you may frighten the horses. it just isn't done.

I like the look of the ?new? Specialized Vice myself.

OP
OP
B

Bigsharn

Veteran
Oh the lighting situation's sorted, I've got two headlamps I'm sure will stay on with a bit of velcro

So basically as long as it fits, it's all good? In that case I'll head out today trying different ones on around town

Thanks all :tongue:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
What annoys me about my helmet is that it's too tight if I have a beanie on underneath, and is fiddly to adjust the chin strap.
I'm sure I saw a helmet once that had a chin clip with several lugs to clip, so you make it tighter and looser just by pushing the clip further into its receiver. Not sure if I described that properly.

monkeypony

When I had a front tyre blow out on a fast (45+mph) downhill I was very glad of my helmet. The kebstone I eventually went in to head first would have really hurt without it.

All helmets are pretty much sod all use if you get struck by a car but there are lots of other things a cyclist can bash his head on.

As mentionned by others, fit first, cooling second, look third, does it match my bikes colour scheme fourth :blush:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
When I had a front tyre blow out on a fast (45+mph) downhill I was very glad of my helmet. The kebstone I eventually went in to head first would have really hurt without it.

All helmets are pretty much sod all use if you get struck by a car but there are lots of other things a cyclist can bash his head on.

As mentionned by others, fit first, cooling second, look third, does it match my bikes colour scheme fourth :blush:

I'll take any colour they've got so long as it is black

lanternrouge

I have to agree with previous posters that a helmet is all but useless if hit by a car. I bought an expensive Giro Ionis (i think its called that) mainly because of the number of vents. my previous helmet made my head very hot and was uncomfortable, with the ionos i forget i have it on sometimes. This is the second i've had, the first smashed after i came off and although it was £100+ down the drain, it did the job and so i bought another one!

monkeypony

I have to agree with previous posters that a helmet is all but useless if hit by a car. I bought an expensive Giro Ionis (i think its called that) mainly because of the number of vents. my previous helmet made my head very hot and was uncomfortable, with the ionos i forget i have it on sometimes. This is the second i've had, the first smashed after i came off and although it was £100+ down the drain, it did the job and so i bought another one!

I hate to tell you this after you've already purchased a new one but, Giro do free crash replacement of alll their helmets if purchased from a UK dealer...

henshaw11

I hate to tell you this after you've already purchased a new one but, Giro do free crash replacement of alll their helmets if purchased from a UK dealer...

..and Specialized do a similar sort of deal.

Re someone mentioning the Vice - I've just bought one, not worn it riding yet. Seemed the best fit by a long way - my head used to be Giro-shaped(the roc-loc on my '02 havoc his given up the ghost) but their current shape pinches across the front on all the models I tried, as someone's also written. Couldnt' find anything out of Met/Fox/Bell that was quite right either.

If you want an alternative to the Vice and aren't bothered about a peak, one of their roadie helmets at about 45 quid - Spesh red/white colour scheme - felt like it fitted in the same way. YMMV of course..

I think somewhere about the 30 quid mark, the fitments change from one-size-fits-all to separate small, med, large (possibly with better ventilation for more £, but it's not a given) - but you may find the one-size fits better. If so - go with that, IMO...

I'm sure I saw a helmet once that had a chin clip with several lugs to clip, so you make it tighter and looser just by pushing the clip further into its receiver.
The Raleigh Extreme helmets have that feature. I have one. The fit is good, I don't look like a complete idiot wearing it as it wraps around my head rather than perching on top of it - and the colours Black and Titanium (or grey for the non advertising executives amongst us!!) look right at home in the sunshine mecca that is the UK!!

Zoiders

I don't wear a helmet on the road but I do wear one when mountain biking.

It's to protect against branch strikes and rocks should you have an off when riding the single track, me and the guys I ride with have no illusions about the helmet being of any use if we stack the bike into a tree while bombing down a fire road at 40mph.

If thats the level of protection you are wanting you are looking at what downhill riders/motorcross riders wear which is full face lid and body armour, as Ravenbait said though, protection from kenetic energy damage to your head will still not protect the brain from deceleration injuries.

Helmets on the road are a safety blanket, if you have a lot of clipless moments or low speed falls then buy one. Bike handling skills come into the equasion, less confident riders are probably better off with a helmet - it's remains a matter of choice though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
So basically as long as it fits, it's all good? In that case I'll head out today trying different ones on around town

Fit is important ... and basically some makes fit certain shaped heads ... you really need to try them on.

What annoys me about my helmet is that it's too tight if I have a beanie on underneath, and is fiddly to adjust the chin strap.

When I bought mine I nearly bought the small as I could adjust both the small and medium to fit me ... but the assistant asked if I ever wore a beanie underneath as I was near the limits of the small - so I bought the medium instead.

The cheapest of helmets don't usually have an adjustment at the back and so tend to move around on your head more making it harder to get a good fit.

I agree with many of the previous comments. Collision with a car doing 30 mph + is likely to result in death or very serious injury and a helmet is unlikely to give much meaningful protection. However, sudden impact of head with inanimate object (e.g. kerb) at slow speed is going to hurt and maybe cause brain injury so I wear a helmet fully acknowledging its limitations.

Top Bottom