Helmets stop people cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting debate chaps. I'm a motorcyclist about to start cycling. I'm used to dressing like robocop when I get on my moto and have heard this before that cycle helmets are worse than useless - is there any protective gear I SHOULD be considering, either with or without helmets? Seems weird not to.

Apart from the evangelists...... the case is open and inconclusive

You need to make your own decision as to whether you need to wear one as with all the rest of the gear.

Cycling like motorcycling is something that you can enjoy at little risk.

If you ride responsibly, take care and apply the skills you have learnt from motorcycling then you will reduce your risk far more than by wearing a helmet!

Schmilliemoo

Wax on, wax off...
Too true I'm very much for rider awareness. I just want to make sure there's nothing I can do to help mitigate the risk. I'm thinking not riding in blind spots and making myself visible will be somewhere to start. Some gloves for if I fall off as I would think the hands are the first thing to hit the deck if it goes to Tarmac :smile:

Too true I'm very much for rider awareness. I just want to make sure there's nothing I can do to help mitigate the risk. I'm thinking not riding in blind spots and making myself visible will be somewhere to start. Some gloves for if I fall off as I would think the hands are the first thing to hit the deck if it goes to Tarmac :smile:

John Franklin's CycleCraft is a good start

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
One of the reasons why was summed up rather well by Roger Geffen of the CTC: -

It is well established that, if you weigh up the life-years gained through cycling (due to increased physical activity) versus the life years lost (due to injury), the health benefits of cycling far outweigh the risks involved. One widely quoted figure for the UK, acknowledged by Government, puts the benefit:disbenefit ratio for the UK at 20:1. Other ratios for other countries are higher still. (N.B. some of the academic references reduce the ratio by including the negative effects of pollution - however that's obviously irrelevant to the helmet debate. If you remove the pollution effect, the other references all come out with ratios above 20:1). But let's take 20:1 for the sake of argument.

From this, recent research shows that, if you tell people to wear helmets (whether by law or simply through promotion campaigns) and this reduces cycle use by more than 1 unit of cycling (e.g. one cyclist, or one km cycled) for every 20 who continue, this is absolutely guaranteed to shorten more lives than helmets could possibly save - even if they were 100% effective at preventing ALL cycling injuries (i.e. leg, arm, shoulder injuries as well as head injuries) for the remaining cyclists. That maximum threshold, beyond which you would be doing more harm than good, then drops further still - down to c2% - once you take account of the proportion of cycling injuries which are non-head injuries. And this is still assuming that helmets are 100% effective at preventing head injuries.

In fact, the evidence on the effectiveness of helmets has become increasingly sceptical over time. A recent literature review by Rune Elvik, an internationally recognised authority on road safety, found that the estimates of helmet effectiveness have progressively decreased over time, with the most recent studies showing no net benefit. In this same report he documents evidence that helmets increase the risk of neck injuries. In a separate report, Elvik has also found that helmet-wearers suffer 14% more injuries per mile travelled than non-wearers. The reasons for this are unclear, however there is good evidence that (at least some) cyclists ride less cautiously when wearing helmets, and that drivers leave less space when overtaking cyclists with helmets than those without.

The only clearly documented effect of enforced helmet laws (e.g. in Australia, New Zealand or parts of Canada) is to substantially reduce cycle use, typically by about a third. Reductions in cyclists' head injury have been similar to the reductions in cycle use, suggesting no reduction in risk for the remaining cyclists, and in some cases this appears to have worsened. In addition to the possible explanations in the para above, this may also be becuase reductions in cycle use undermine the "safety in numbers" effect for the cyclists who remain - see see www.ctc.org.uk/safetyinnumbers. A clear relationship has been shown between cycle use and cycle safety - cycling is safer in places where cycle use is high (e.g. the Netherlands or Denmark - or within Britain, in Cambridge or York). Telling people to wear helmets, instead of creating safe cycling conditions, is contrary to the aims of encouraging more, as well as safer, cycling.

From this, I hope it is clear that the effectiveness or otherwise of helmets is not the main point. As explained above, even if helmets were 100% effective, you would still be doing more harm than good if you deter more than c2% of cycle use by telling people to wear them. That's because the risks of cycling are not especially high, and the health benefits are SO much greater. You are about as unlikely to be killed in a mile of cycling as a mile of walking - do we also need walking helmets? - no, of course not! The idea that you need helmets to cycle is both a symptom of our massively exaggerated concern about the "dangers" of cycling, which results in such pitifully low cycle use in Britain.

In short, if we want to maximise the health, environmental and other benefits of cycling, we need to focus on creating safe conditions, and thus increasing cycle use. Resorting to helmets simply tackles the symptoms of the problem, not the causes, and thus deters people from cycling. This is pretty much guaranteed to shorten more lives than it could possibly save. Faced with both an obesity crisis and a climate crisis, the last thing we should be doing is driving people into increasingly car-dependent, obesogenic lifestyles.

bianchi1

Guru
One of the reasons why was summed up rather well by Roger Geffen of the CTC: -

Interesting summing up. In mentioning Elvic's paper he seems to miss out some of the points. For example:

"Do bicycle helmets reduce the risk of injury to the head, face or neck? With respect to head injury, the answer is clearly yes, and the re-analysis of the meta-analysis reported by Attewell et al. (2001) in this paper has not changed this answer. As far as facial injury is concerned, evidence suggests that the protective effect is smaller, but on balance there does seem to be a slight protec- tive effect. The risk of neck injury does not seem to be reduced by bicycle helmets. There are only four estimates of effect, but they all indicate an increased risk of injury. When the risk of injury to head, face or neck is viewed as a whole, bicycle helmets do provide a small protective effect"

And Geffen states that" there is good evidence" cyclists ride less cautiously, while Elvic states "Once helmeted, cyclists might feel better protected and adopt more risky riding behaviour. While this cannot be ruled out, there is no direct evidence for it"

While the debate is interesting as ever! I feel authors such as Geffen could do better than pick parts of articles that back up their arguments and not mention the parts that do not.

The article is here if anyone is interested

http://www.cycle-helmets.com/elvik.pdf

(At last count I have 3 helmets for cycling, one for kayaking, one for snow sports and a climbing helmet but sometimes do all the mentioned activities helmet less)

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Just below the first quote you selected the author continued: -

When the risk of injury to head, face or neck is viewed as a whole, bicycle helmets do provide
a small protective effect. This effect is evident only in older studies. New studies, summarised by a random-effects model of analysis, indicate no net protective effect.

This was stated further in the conclusions (conclusion 3)

6. Conclusions
Based on the studies reviewed in this paper, the following conclusions can be drawn:
1. A re-analysis has been performed of a meta-analysis of the protective effects of bicycle helmets reported in Accident Analysis
and Prevention (Attewell et al., 2001). The original analysis was found to be influenced by publication bias and time-trend bias that were not controlled for.

2. When these sources of bias are controlled for, the protective effects attributed to bicycle helmets become smaller than originally estimated.

3. When the analysis is updated by adding four new studies, the protective effects attributed to bicycle helmets are further reduced. According to the new studies, no overall effect of bicycle helmets could be found when injuries to head, face or neck are considered as a whole.

4. The findings of this study are inconsistent with other metaanalyses, in particular a Cochrane review published in 2009. However, the study inclusion criteria applied in the Cochrane review are debatable.

I'd suggest that is the reasoning behind Roger Geffen's sentence. Be careful about selectively quoting documents :smile:

Cheers for the recommend - you'll be pleased to know I have a copy. He also doesn't like helmets, eh?

There is a certain healthy cynicism about helmets certainly

If you feel that a helmet would be of benefit then wear one, if you feel that your riding style has sufficiently lowered risk to where you feel it is not going to help then don't

What most here want is for you to make your mind up and do what you think best, but to do so on an informed basis.

Franklin's argument is at least partially that skilful riding will reduce the need for such protection

Greater risk of a heavier impact whilst cycling

Bit like when that snowboarder died from slipping on the snow, the report said it would have been prevented had she of been wearing a helmet

Maybe heavier impact whilst cycling, but the current tests for helmets do not take that into consideration. All tests are based on a stationary fall from a fixed height. No speed or additional momentum included.

bianchi1

Guru
Just below the first quote you selected the author continued: -

This was stated further in the conclusions (conclusion 3)

I'd suggest that is the reasoning behind Roger Geffen's sentence. Be careful about selectively quoting documents :smile:

Exactly. Conclusion 4 brings states that the findings of the study are inconsistent with other studies. Its an academic paper annalising other academic papers. My argument is that Elvic's paper is not fairly represented in Geffen's piece.

If anything Elvic shows the problems with trying to find usefull evidence either way. I especially like his explanation as to why head injures do not fall as expected when they are made compulsory. Interesting stuff.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Exactly. Conclusion 4 brings states that the findings of the study are inconsistent with other studies. Its an academic paper annalising other academic papers. My argument is that Elvic's paper is not fairly represented in Geffen's piece.

If anything Elvic shows the problems with trying to find usefull evidence either way. I especially like his explanation as to why head injures do not fall as expected when they are made compulsory. Interesting stuff.

It does indeed show the difficulty with trying to find useful evidence on a low frequency event with a multitude of potential causal factors.

However I do not agree that Conclusion 4 reduces the weight of conclusion 3. Conclusion 4 states that the literature review he has concluded differs from other meta reviews, especially the 2009 Cochraine review but then goes on to mention the issues with Cochraine's selection criteria (most of section 5 is devoted to showing issues with these selection criteria). That is calling into question the other papers that this paper is being compared to rather than the paper itself.

I think Roger Geffen's representation of the paper is pretty accurate, with the possible exception of the sentence about risk taking behaviour.

bianchi1

Guru
It does indeed show the difficulty with trying to find useful evidence on a low frequency event with a multitude of potential causal factors.

However I do not agree that Conclusion 4 reduces the weight of conclusion 3. Conclusion 4 states that the literature review he has concluded differs from other meta reviews, especially the 2009 Cochraine review but then goes on to mention the issues with Cochraine's selection criteria (most of section 5 is devoted to showing issues with these selection criteria). That is calling into question the other papers that this paper is being compared to rather than the paper itself.

I think Roger Geffen's representation of the paper is pretty accurate, with the possible exception of the sentence about risk taking behaviour.

The Cochraine selection criteria may be questionable, but the paper is interesting, if clearly biased from the "PLAIN LANGUAGE SUMMARY"!!

http://www.thecochranelibrary.com/userfiles/ccoch/file/Safety_on_the_road/CD001855.pdf

(Not one for the non helmet gang)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom