Helmets; The Paramedics View

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not posting this in order for it descend into a 'for'/'against' war, but to let you read what a member of the 'blue light brigade' thinks, on reflection of the scene

http://www.tryingmypatients.co.uk/2014/10/kids-buses-bikes-and-helmets.html

All I will say is; I know a lot of (YAS) Paramedics, through my work-place (as they deliver to us....), & I'd hazard a guess that the overwhelming majority would agree with the blog

KneesUp

Guru
Looks at picture of blood on the road and skims article.
Remembers daughter asking OH why daddy never wears his helmet.
Thinks about insisting daughter wears her helmet on her scooter.
Thinks that helmet probably can't make things worse, should the worst happen
Gets helmet out from cupboard under the stairs and hangs it on bike ready for the morning.

(plus it covers up that bald bit at the back)

Sara_H

Guru
I guess the problem with blogs such as hat is that when you get past all the emotive language, it doesn't address the fact that helmets do not offer protection from the kind of collision described within. So the outcome will have been similar, helmet or not.

I think its very difficult when health professionals step into this debate, because whilst the may well be experts in treating head injuries, they will probably have no knowledge around head injury prevention, helmet efficacy etc, but they present their ill informed views as professional opinion.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sorry but still no sale! I have kids, we all cycle. I don't wear a helmet. I am just getting to the point where I am backing off making my oldest son wear a helmet as he is now at the point of not falling over for no reason and is an aware, focused and capable road user. I won't argue with the fact that helmets can prevent or reduce some injuries but I don't accept this is a significant risk in day to day life, any more than falling down the stairs, falling out of a tree, tripping over the kerb or being knocked down by a vehicle as a pedestrian (or any of the other 1 million and 1 ways it is possible to accidently end our lives). We don't wear protection against these other events so why should the (IMO) same risk exposure of cycling be treated any differently?

EDIT: cross post with markymark but basically the same point being made.

KneesUp

Guru
Would they also agree that the people in cars, at the bottom of stairs, on pedestrian crossings who also have horrific brain injuries are also stupid if helmetless or is this pomposity just saved for cyclists?
I didn't see anywhere in the article where it suggested anyone was stupid.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I didn't see anywhere in the article where it suggested anyone was stupid.

"If you don't wear a helmet, you are a complete idiot. That's an upgrade from 'idiot' (2013). "

GC

KneesUp

Guru
Sorry but still no sale! I have kids, we all cycle. I don't wear a helmet. I am just getting to the point where I am backing off making my oldest son wear a helmet as he is now at the point of not falling over for no reason and is an aware, focused and capable road user. I won't argue with the fact that helmets can prevent or reduce some injuries but I don't accept this is a significant risk in day to day life, any more than falling down the stairs, falling out of a tree, tripping over the kerb or being knocked down by a vehicle as a pedestrian (or any of the other 1 million and 1 ways it is possible to accidently end our lives). We don't wear protection against these other events so why should the (IMO) same risk exposure of cycling be treated any differently?
There is a section on here called 'Cyclist Down' I expect the injuries and deaths it recounts are rather greater than occur from people falling down stairs or out of trees. This suggests that the risks when cycling are greater - because it's kind of up to you if you trip up on the stairs or not, but it's not always up to you if you get hit by a car or not. And if you are hit by a car, you are hit harder than when you fall down stairs. I'd choose falling down stairs to being hit by 2 tonnes of metal at 40mph any day.

A helmet is no guarantee of anything, of course, and I'm not suggesting it would be much use if you were hit at 40mph, but it might make the difference if I hit a pothole at 15mph and fall off and hit the kerb with my head. And if it doesn't, well, I don't suppose I'll care much.

KneesUp

Guru
"If you don't wear a helmet, you are a complete idiot. That's an upgrade from 'idiot' (2013). "

GC
I didn't read past the asterisks. I note the full quote though is "You may remember last year I posted a blog called Cycle Helmets and Idiots. The theme of the post was simple. If you don't wear a helmet, you're an idiot. Admittedly, at the time of writing, it was about adult cyclists, and I wouldn't dare call this little child an idiot ..."

Davidc

Guru
There is a section on here called 'Cyclist Down' I expect the injuries and deaths it recounts are rather greater than occur from people falling down stairs or out of trees. This suggests that the risks when cycling are greater - because it's kind of up to you if you trip up on the stairs or not, but it's not always up to you if you get hit by a car or not. And if you are hit by a car, you are hit harder than when you fall down stairs. I'd choose falling down stairs to being hit by 2 tonnes of metal at 40mph any day.

A helmet is no guarantee of anything, of course, and I'm not suggesting it would be much use if you were hit at 40mph, but it might make the difference if I hit a pothole at 15mph and fall off and hit the kerb with my head. And if it doesn't, well, I don't suppose I'll care much.
Not sure about stairs specifically but suggest you look at deaths and injuries in the home then reconsider this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom